OpenApoc - Open Source Port of X-Com Apocalypse

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@PCGamesN OpenApoc is an open source port of X-Com Apocalypse for Windows which had its first public release recently.

X-Com Apocalypse gets a new lease of life through moddable Windows port OpenApoc

The third game in the classic X-Com series, Apocalypse, was a strange duck. A hybrid of real-time and turn-based combat, a setting more reminiscent of Judge Dredd than The X-Files and a bundle of ambitious gameplay systems that never quite worked in practice, such as rival human NPC factions with their own agendas.

It was always a game that seemed to work better on paper than in practice, but now there's hope that Apocalypse might some day live up to the promise of its lofty design, as the first public version of OpenApoc - a fan-made source port and foundation for future mod development - has been released.

[...]
More information.

I completely disagree with that summary. Apocalypse is vastly underrated and might be my favorite in the series.

This is one of those games that I had a great time playing. I do wish the graphic style had been different through, as does Julian Gollop himself. With this project that has a chance of occurring as does a myriad of other features.

Have it in my library and wanted to play it for a long time now. Will give this a try when I have the X-COM itch the next time.

Played it when it came out back in 97 and loved it. Congrats to the guy doing all the gameplay coding. The AI is still missing, hopefully they can pull it off.

I played it back in the day and I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either. I particularly disliked the who real-time/turn based things which was poorly integrated. I remember in turn based mode, if you moved right after shooting, it was possible to run into your own bullet and hurt yourself.

Back
Top Bottom