Shadow of War - Review

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Mirror has reviewed Middle-earth: Shadow of War:

Shadow of War review: Intense and exhilarating battles across Middle-earth

Tolkien's land presents another epic adventure - even if it is hampered by micro-transactions in the form of loot boxes

Actions have consequences; a blatantly obvious statement you might say, but this is something that plays a huge part in the twists and turns that Middle-earth: Shadow of War has in store for gamers.

Those who have had the pleasure of playing the game’s predecessor, Shadow of Mordor (SoM), will be familiar with protagonist Talion, accompanied by Elven spirit Celebrimbor, and his quest to rid the world of the Dark Lord, Sauron. The open-RPG takes players back to into the fight – set between The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy – where our hero has wielded a new Ring of Power to help in the quest to terminate Sauron and the Nazgul, as well as armies and tribes of Orcs, Olog-hai, Caragors and any other beast which poses a threat.

[...]

Aside from the microtransactions, the game boasts vast exploration in a world that lights the candle of imagination, burning as bright as the fiery eye atop of Sauron’s tower. The combat is fun, with large fortress battles and side missions including a fierce conflict with a flaming Balrog creating that authentic Lord of the Rings-style atmosphere.

Shadow of War is up there in with the best when it comes to great action RPG experiences and you’ll have hours of fun smashing your way through enemies in an abrupt fashion, or stealthily assassinating your targets from bushes or rooftops.

Score: 4/5
More information.

I might buy it when it drops to $5. I actually liked the first game and this one might be more interesting. However I would have been willing ot pay a lot more had they skipped the shitty in your face micro-transaction.

With the indie explosion, there are so many better games out there to more than fill my time, there's no way in hell I would support this kind of business practice by buying this game or any one like it.

Whoops. Looks like I'm buying a new computer, and I get a copy of the game for free. That just means I can now spend $60 on loot boxes, right? :p

the same section some have been saying is far too difficult without loot boxes.

Streamers are playing without loot boxes on hardest settings and without prior knowledge of and training for the product.

There is also the now familiar recant on repetition, which tells of a lack of concern for anything gameplay. Repetition is mandatory as it provides the context compulsory to taking proper decisions.
Instead of taking it as it is: repetition allows players to become more effective at tasks, removing the loot boxes purchase thing to make it.

These guys desire to fly through content and developping a certain level of skills dedicated to a product goes against their desire.

Playing vid products is a luxury, players who find it burdensome might switch to something else. They will lose the social tag of playing vid products, not the end of the day.

Rule is simple on this site: if you do not like a product, do not review it. Obviously, those guys did not like the product.

How moronic is that; if you do not like the product don't review it ? You mean reviewers should only review products they like ?

Streamers are playing without loot boxes on hardest settings and without prior knowledge of and training for the product.

There is also the now familiar recant on repetition, which tells of a lack of concern for anything gameplay. Repetition is mandatory as it provides the context compulsory to taking proper decisions.
Instead of taking it as it is: repetition allows players to become more effective at tasks, removing the loot boxes purchase thing to make it.

These guys desire to fly through content and developping a certain level of skills dedicated to a product goes against their desire.

Playing vid products is a luxury, players who find it burdensome might switch to something else. They will lose the social tag of playing vid products, not the end of the day.

Rule is simple on this site: if you do not like a product, do not review it. Obviously, those guys did not like the product.

That is the policy on this site. If this policy is moronic, maybe time to avoid visiting this site.

That is the policy on this site. If this policy is moronic, maybe time to avoid visiting this site.

Your frequent use of the words "rules and policies" in context where they are not relevant only further increase the likelihood you come from a dictatorship county.

It is very possible to review a game you don't like, or to have an opposing opinion to everyone else.

Example.
Fluent - Likes everything.
Mercy - Likes nothing.
Carnifex - Doesnt like Divinty.
RPGfool - would take a bullet for it.
Chien - Does not play games, only watches streams.
Wisdom - Does not watch streams, plays games.

You can always leave the place and share your thoughts within PCgamer comments.
I did exactly that and got banned. Then again, we don't share the same opinion on milking, maybe you'll "survive".

is it only me or does it seem like Chien shit on older games only but champions shit games like this one?

Chien - Does not play games, only watches streams.

No. Watches streams of products meant for streamers first.

As to rules and policy, it is also the hallmark of places that push forward rule of law, law and order stuff etc

You can always leave the place and share your thoughts within PCgamer comments.
I did exactly that and got banned. Then again, we don't share the same opinion on milking, maybe you'll "survive".

There is no milking.

On this site, it was written that personal experience is regarded as prioritary.

Applying this to the article on the loot boxes

Hearsays: the product is so difficult players must rely on loot boxes to make it.
Hearsays: content is so rare players better rely on loot boxes to acquire it.

Author personal experience: product is not hard to the point you must rely on loot boxes to make it (acquired no loot boxes)
Content is not that rare, it is acquired by working along the gameplay mechanics.

There is no milking. Loot boxes are optional. They serve to meet the demand by players for whom playing is a cultural burden and would prefer to shorten the experience as much as possible.

The milking is elsewhere like in the crowdfunded scene.

There is no milking.

On this site, it was written that personal experience is regarded as prioritary.

Applying this to the article on the loot boxes

Hearsays: the product is so difficult players must rely on loot boxes to make it.
Hearsays: content is so rare players better rely on loot boxes to acquire it.

Author personal experience: product is not hard to the point you must rely on loot boxes to make it (acquired no loot boxes)
Content is not that rare, it is acquired by working along the gameplay mechanics.

There is no milking. Loot boxes are optional. They serve to meet the demand by players for whom playing is a cultural burden and would prefer to shorten the experience as much as possible.

The milking is elsewhere like in the crowdfunded scene.

I actually agree with Chien on this one!

It was implied on another thread few months ago that a personal experience is much better measure than experience gained from watching streamers etc. Therefore this reviewer(personal experience) is claiming loot boxes are optional and his must have higher standing than hearsay!

I've read several reviews of it now, and they all say they same thing: They can't really figure out why the game has those boxes at all, as there's no real reason to get them. It seems like an odd decision that's likely to just gain negative rep despite barely being present.

And I read user input where all say the same thing - at a certain point of the game you have to excessively grind till you get so annoyed you start thinking on buying lootboxes.

Who should I trust? Gamers who finished the game or…

Back
Top Bottom