Sunless Skies
The Swords of Ditto
Underworld Ascendant
Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr
Werewolf: The Apocalypse
YIIK: A Postmodern RPG
Thanks henriquejr!

More information.

Odd Gods sounds intriguing and unique. Not just another Western Fantasy RPG. Guess it will depend on the writing. Sunless Skies is another one that might be interesting.

Yes, Pathfinder hopefully will be good; PoE2; Bard's Tale IV;
Not sure about the others.

I wish they would make a game:

1) Open world;
2) RPG mechanics that don't make higher levelled characters OP, just have more options, which means that lower levelled fights are never to be taken for granted: Means Open world is always interesting. (skyrim did this badly IMO)
3) procedural generation of quests (Skyrim did well)
4) meaningful quest rewards, with possibilities of getting unique skills training or talents from these quests (There might be only a couple of Master Talent quests in any one playthrough out of a large potential pool of master talent quests - makes your character original in any playthrough[, and your character is then also original compared to other if MMORPG changes implemented as noted below])
5) loot that can be upgraded (crafting), but random loot that Doesn't exceed quest rewards.
(DoS2 loot is thrown out all the time - what is the point of getting a good weapon from a quest, when 2 hours later, it is superceeded by a random loot piece)
6) Factions that can change with play-throughs and intra and inter faction politics.
7) Realism with factions - ie. being the head of 4 factions would be impossible, and to get to be a head of a faction - significant politics / intrigue and murder lol, as well as having to have a certain skill level minimum in those factions that value skills. (no being archmage with very little magic skills)
7) Interactive stories that can be added to via modding - with a main quest with many different approaches and outcomes.

8) I would also like to see it put as a MMORPG that is not massive (perhaps 100 people per server / world), but with limited level scaling, meaning that no one person is UBER!, and creativity with this:
--> i.e. When you are offline, your character persists in the world with their "tent-making" business / Guild duties - one you choose when you create it, or get during the game… ie. Blacksmithing / noble at court, Bum on a street, Master of the Third order of Monks responsible for training and weapon maintenance; etc….

I would also like my cake and to eat it as well
perhaps make it 1st person and on VR as well

I have the faint hope WH40K Inquisitor will be good. Although, it is most likely your typical ARPG that will become boring and grindy after a few hours. Their plans sound cool on paper at least.

I'm also interested in Vampyr, Werewolf and Deep Sky Derelicts.

1) Open world;
2) RPG mechanics that don't make higher levelled characters OP, just have more options, which means that lower levelled fights are never to be taken for granted: Means Open world is always interesting. (skyrim did this badly IMO)
4) meaningful quest rewards, with possibilities of getting unique skills training or talents from these quests (There might be only a couple of Master Talent quests in any one playthrough out of a large potential pool of master talent quests - makes your character original in any playthrough[, and your character is then also original compared to other if MMORPG changes implemented as noted below])
5) loot that can be upgraded (crafting), but random loot that Doesn't exceed quest rewards.
(DoS2 loot is thrown out all the time - what is the point of getting a good weapon from a quest, when 2 hours later, it is superceeded by a random loot piece)
6) Factions that can change with play-throughs and intra and inter faction politics.
7) Realism with factions - ie. being the head of 4 factions would be impossible, and to get to be a head of a faction - significant politics / intrigue and murder lol, as well as having to have a certain skill level minimum in those factions that value skills. (no being archmage with very little magic skills)
7) Interactive stories that can be added to via modding - with a main quest with many different approaches and outcomes.

8) I would also like to see it put as a MMORPG that is not massive (perhaps 100 people per server / world), but with limited level scaling, meaning that no one person is UBER!, and creativity with this:

Well…I agree with point 1, 4, 7 and 7. The others I agree to disagree on.

Very excited for KC: Deliverance.

Also, is M&B: Bannerlord slated for 2018? That's new, no?

Nice list. I'm always happy to discover games I haven't heard about.

1) Open world;

--> i.e. When you are offline, your character persists in the world with their "tent-making" business / Guild duties - one you choose when you create it, or get during the game… ie. Blacksmithing / noble at court, Bum on a street, Master of the Third order of Monks responsible for training and weapon maintenance; etc….

I would also like my cake and to eat it as well
perhaps make it 1st person and on VR as well

1. I'd prefer more linear games myself. I think the allure of open world games has lost its appeal to me. I don't care much for open spaces that have redundant points of interest. If a game is linear but supports a more engaging story, well written characters, great dialogue, and/or proper C&C, I'd rather have that. In fact, I think linear games allow for more creativity from the developer, but that's a discussion I'd rather have in another topic.
2. Interesting, but I'm not sure I agree. I like my characters with a sense of progression. If I'm having a tough time with a wolf, I might feel that enemies were scaled to my level in order to retain difficulty. However, this could be properly avoided in linear games.
3. I can cope with procedural generation...to an extent. Procedural generation tends to be a crutch for open world games, in that quests are randomized to create different encounters. It's nice that players can have varying experiences (which I greatly support), but if they're varying experiences of fetch quests, I don't think that's something people will want to tell tales of.
4. Agreed, 100%.
5. This one I'm uncertain about. I like that future loot can supersede quest items because it provides a sense of diversity and progression to the character, and prevents cluttered inventories. Perhaps if quest rewards were more unique (had unique affixes and suffixes) while generated loot pulled from a list of attributes, I think that would be my preferred option.
6. Not too certain on this one. I think sticking to the framework of their ideologies would be the best course of action if they're to be a faction you care about or take seriously.
7. No downside to this, so I agree 100%.
8. I like my single player games.

@ Ragnaris:
1.: I hear you... I think an open world can be done well, but I think it needs a lot more work than most developers put in.
2: I agree that you need character progression, but I feel so strange at the beginning of games having trouble fighting rats, then at the end I could kill 5 dragons in 1 hit, or take a full hit from a colossus without flinching. I just feel most games nowdays scale up way too much... If you lower the scaling, non-linear open world games become more viable / realistic. If you gain skills over health / hitpoints, it give you more options in fights, so you feel more powerful, but a colossus hit would still wipe you out lol.
3: Agree! Again things need to be thought out properly and not just added for the sake of adding / grinding!
5: Hmmm... things to think about huh! Next time we develop a game together we will figure it out lol

8: I do too... but I also like the idea that we could interact with others on the net, but not at the expense of being able to AFK at any point.... I think a semi-autonomous online game could be achievable.... but I am an optimist lol

I was thinking BattleTech was left off the list but, having read a preview in PC Gamer (the actual magazine, it's not on the web yet as far as I know), I'm not so sure it will have enough RPG elements to be called a tactical RPG.

Though, if we say Blackguards is an RPG....

Back
Top Bottom