System Shock - No Release in 2018

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
System Shock will not be released in 2018 according to Reddit:

Realistically, when is this project expected to release?

It's obviously not coming this year, but are projections favoring 2019 or is this gonna slip beyond that?
Is the vertical slice done yet? Any updates or any news at all coming before GDC?
How long do we have to wait before we get this message?

Now we are in full swing, we know a lot more about the size and scope of the game we are going to make, how long it will take us to make it, and the amount of time we need to make it be great. From those projections we know that [GAME] will not be shipping in 2018, like we originally estimated when we published the crowdfunding campaign two years ago.
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

One reddit reply hit the nail on the head :

"Seems to me the problem is they're trying to make a AAA game with indie budget money. :\

I seriously hope they don't run out of cash and have to halt development because their vision exceeded capability. I don't see how ANYONE could work on a single game for 3 to 4 years (looking likely.....) with such a small amount of money.

No one's really looking for a AAA System Shock. We just want a faithful, fun, immersive remake of the original."

Except that I would love a proper AAA System Shock that's not just a repeat of what came before.

That said, I have no idea if they can pull this off. They already postponed it from late 2017 - so obviously they're expanding the scope even more.

Which, to me, could be a very good thing.

One reddit reply hit the nail on the head :

"Seems to me the problem is they're trying to make a AAA game with indie budget money. :\

I seriously hope they don't run out of cash and have to halt development because their vision exceeded capability. I don't see how ANYONE could work on a single game for 3 to 4 years (looking likely…..) with such a small amount of money.
They could have external funding.

I never thought for a moment that it could be released in 2017, but I'm definitely a little disappointed to hear it won't be released this year either.

Hopefully it's worth the wait. I have huge expectations for this one. :)

Well, sure am glad I chose not to back this in their kickstarter...I'd start worrying that this game might not ever come out, at this point. Something has also struck me as being fishy in the way they have communicated to the public regarding the progress, or should I say, the non-progress of this game development.

My most anticipated game of the year :(

SS3 is definitely a few years out.

Where will I get my sci-fi fix except oldies?

Hmm, haven't heard about that one before. Looks pretty good :)

Smells like something that might very well be delayed, though.

Well, everything is delayed nowadays. But if you compare it to the delay of Star Citizen or Mandate then most delays will get a little "positive vibe". :)

Well, everything is delayed nowadays. But if you compare it to the delay of Star Citizen or Mandate then most delays will get a little "positive vibe". :)

Oh, I don't mind delays for games that look like they will benefit from it - like this one.

But it also means I have to wait longer :(

Back
Top Bottom