Dishonored 2 - Levels

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PCGamesN thinks levels are still fun:

Dishonored shows that developers should still be building levels and not just worlds

For a long time, levels were the standard delivery format for videogames - discrete chunks of action, exploration, and storytelling that together formed a whole. Look at the best-selling games of 2017, though, and you will discover that is no longer the norm. Destiny 2 spreads its events throughout sprawling planetary hubs. Ghost Recon: Wildlands dots its missions across 11 biomes and 656 kilometres of continuous road.

PC gaming has been transformed by the rise of open-world streaming technology and its accessibility in the form of contemporary platforms like Unreal Engine 4. In tandem, triple-A developers have perfected a design methodology that emphasises quick, repeatable gameplay loops and percentage completion trackers - in other words, stuff that keeps you hooked in both the short and long-term. This is what devs refer to as ‘player retention’, and it is not hard to see the appeal in a market undercut by trade-in sales.

Nothing is fundamentally wrong with any of that. Most of us are in favour of triple-A games continuing to exist, and nobody who has played The Witcher 3 or Watch Dogs 2 would argue against the value of open worlds. But there is still something special about the level, isn’t there?

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Interesting article. I hadn't really thought of a fundamental difference between games with open worlds and games with levels, and I imagine that there are games which have both, but it is an interesting difference in presenting gameplay.

Open worlds, though, in my view do have ways of being memorable just as levels do, such as the Baron's infant quest in The Witcher 3. I probably slightly prefer the open world approach, but it depends upon the game.

I think what he's saying is that he prefers artist-driven and bespoke content to procedural or less dense content.

We all do.

But there's a reason open world games tend to feature less of the former and more of the latter - and that's about providing an alternate type of gameplay.

Which is the key here: the gameplay.

To have a freeform and open world with "endless" content - you need to make sacrifices.

But he's not being quite fair to the open world genre, because some developers actually DO manage to combine these things to a fair extent - and here I have to mention my favorites Skyrim and Fallout 4.

Despite what many seem to think, those games are FULL of bespoke and artist-driven levels.

Obviously, we're not talking Dishonored or Bioshock level of detail attention and they do have to reuse assets a lot more, making levels seem more familiar the more you play - but there's quite a lot of handcrafted and "cared for" stuff in there. The reason for that is simple - Bethsoft employ many level designers dedicated exclusively to creating "dungeon" levels - where other open world games tend to go the easier route of either ignoring dungeon content (PB and CDPR do this for the most part) - or they just half-ass it like Amalur did.

But it IS actually possible to have both - just as long as you understand the compromises involved. It's naturally impossible to create the same unique levels in a game with hundreds of them as opposed to a dozen - given the same time and resources.

As an interesting sidenote, CIG are trying a very novel approach in how they intend to combine procedurally generated content with bespoke content. I don't think anyone has done that to the same extent - or with tools as powerful as the ones they've developed.

It should be very interesting to see if they succeed in a happy compromise.

Another potentially interesting sidenote is that Ken Levine, arguably one of the kings of bespoke content games (System Shock 2, Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite) actually quit Irrational because of how expensive and tough it was to create games in that way - and on that level of fidelity.

The industry and game development has changed TREMENDOUSLY in terms of what's required to create compelling levels in terms of the sheer amount of manhours needed for even the simplest assets.

So, Levine has instead moved in the opposite direction - and he's now working on a way to procedurally generate STORY - which is something I personally doubt is possible at this stage of technology, but I'm definitely very, very curious to see what he comes up with.

He's been at it for a few years now - so we should hear something soon :)

Which is the key here: the gameplay.
Gimme a break, go ebay and buy yourself a crate full of mushrooms already then knock yourself out with them on whatever PS4 nonames.

Or forget me and my words, try to preach gameplay key to StealthGamerBR.

go ebay and buy yourself a crate full of mushrooms already then knock yourself out with them

That would be quite painful. For you mushroom = controller, right? :)

Back
Top Bottom