ToEE - Icewind Dale Chapter One Demo

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Temple of Elemental Evil is being used to recreate Icewind Dale turn-based style. A demo for Chapter One was released back in January which can be downloaded at Moddb.

Icewind Dale is receiving a Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 edition ruleset makeover, and ported over to the Temple of Elemental Evil game engine. Thus combining an epic dungeon crawl adventure and the best turn-based D&D combat engine of any PC game available to make this both visually attractive, and tactically challenging to play. This demo version presents the Prologue chapter of Icewind Dale in it's entirety, and requires both ToEE and Icewind Dale to be installed prior to installing this mod. It is compatibible with Temple+ (recommended) but Temple+ is not required to play this mod.

Thanks rjshae!
More information.

Excellent idea : all the Infinity Engine games should have been turn-based ! (funny, that was already my first though when BG1 came out)

Excellent idea : all the Infinity Engine games should have been turn-based ! (funny, that was already my first though when BG1 came out)

Hell no. At least not as they are currently constructed. BG1 would take 723 hours to complete. No thank you.

I wouldn't. RTwP works beautifully for IE games. I'm glad Kingmaker is also RTwP.

This is very important. So QFT

The important thing to remember is STOP IT WITH THE TRASH MOBS!

Yep. But it should be something in the middle : Torment - Tides of Numenera had frustrating few combats...

Of course, if the game was turn-based, the number and positioning of the enemies would be different too.

I'd certainly buy this if it were available on great old games or steam. If I had to figure it out myself how to install it or get it to run somehow, I'd probably just replay an older game instead.

Tried getting into ID recently, love the story, feel of " DnD adventure", but combat was really offPutin. Remember that guy on Obs forum who defended that silly leash and kite as high skill gameplay. :p
Anyway, this fixes it then?

Tried getting into ID recently, love the story, feel of " DnD adventure", but combat was really offPutin. Remember that guy on Obs forum who defended that silly leash and kite as high skill gameplay. :p
Anyway, this fixes it then?

That is an interesting opinion as most believe that IWD and especially IWD 2 had far superior combat. Certainly when I played them originally, I thought IWD 2 was a much better game than BG2.

Icewind Dale is just combat, combat and then more Combat. Love the atmosphere but can never make it through more than half the game...making it even slower would be brutal (even though I prefer TB combat.)

See, I'm just the opposite, I simply cannot ever get too much combat. As long as I can periodically save so I can get a rest, then I'll be back for more!

That is an interesting opinion as most believe that IWD and especially IWD 2 had far superior combat. Certainly when I played them originally, I thought IWD 2 was a much better game than BG2.

They all had very rudimentary AI that attacks in very predictable, exploitable patterns. And trash mobs galore ( and then some).
They were at their best in those party vs. party in semi confined areas: that encounter in top level of Iron Throne, or Cyric followers in BG II.
Where combination of different classes, enemy AI's, skills, spells and abilities+ random rolls would create a much more dynamic, adaptive gameplay. And no excessive resistances would allow the player to be more creative.
But they all had far too few of this: most encounters were about throwing large number of enemies of the same type ( who you kite and blast away->this led to Sawyer's engagement mechanic) and OP bosses/high level enemies that required a very specific approach or simply cheesing them to death ( Kangaxx is perfect example of this).

Icewind Dale is just combat, combat and then more Combat. Love the atmosphere but can never make it through more than half the game…making it even slower would be brutal (even though I prefer TB combat.)

IWD and IWD2 had too much combat for me. Worse, there were many battles in which you were not allowed to be tactical with your initial character placement as there would be a small "cut scene" moving your characters into positions just before dialog-then-battle, and that felt very artificial to me having the game take over placement of my characters.

When it was first released I somewhat enjoyed the newness of IWD and I finished it so that was good overall but I got tired of IWD2 and didn't finish it.

I enjoyed RTwP a whole lot, but I wish there had been a better story and quests for the IWD games.

I enjoyed BG1 and especially BG2 (one of the best games ever) a whole lot.

Back
Top Bottom