BattleTech - A Beginners Guide to BattleTech

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Paradox Interactive have submitted a guide to PCGamesN to help players new to BattleTech.

Assembling your lance

The group of mechs you take into battle is called a lance, and while you can take up to four mechs with you, there is nothing stopping you from taking fewer. The main restriction is the carry capacity of your dropship - it having a limit to the sheer tonnage of mechs it can hold. This is to stop you from taking four towering assault class mechs into battle. If you want to take in an assault mech you’re going to have to fill out the rest of your lance with lighter classes.

There are four mech classes in all: light, medium, heavy, and assault. Though, it’s not as simple as light mechs being recon units and assault mechs being heavy hitters. You can kit a light mech out with a suite of flamers so it can dance around heavier mechs torching their pilots. You could also have a heavy mech that’s low on armour but heavy on support weapons that you have to keep behind the battle lines.
[...]
More information.

This is all easy, learning all the stupid and hidden UI options is the hard part :D

I'm not sure how easy it will be for people who don't know anything about Battletech to play. The in-game information is pretty sparse (especially right at the start) and the tutorial is a joke. The interface is clumsy and not well explained though I imagine once you play a bit it will be second nature.

That said it is a ton of fun!

I had to watch a gameplay video with the devs to figure some things out. Worth it as the game seems pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom