Moonlighter - Review @ Gadgets 360

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Gadgets 360 checked out the action RPG Moonlighter, that will be released tomoprrow:

Moonlighter Review

Moonlighter for the PS4, Xbox One, and PC is an action role-playing game (RPG) that has you in the shoes of Will, a merchant. Yes, instead of donning the garb of a wizard, demon, or the usual hero that most RPGs saddle you as, you run a shop instead. During the day you’ll peddle your wares to many a budding hero, and at night you’ll take on dangerous dungeon runs to earn all manner of whetstones, fabrics, vines, glass lenses, and rare metals to sell at your store.

All of the action in Moonlighter takes place in Rynoka — a small village where your store is located — and a set of gates located just outside it. These gates lead to different dungeons teeming with monsters aplenty and defeating them nets you the aforementioned items you need to sell at your store. Moonlighter gives you a host of ways to do this.

[...]

With slick store simulation and solid — albeit somewhat flawed — combat, Moonlighter is a game worth checking out if you’re in the mood for something different. It’s not perfect, but there’s hours of enjoyment to be had leading the double life of a storekeeper and adventurer in the village of Rynoka.

Pros

• Slick store management
  • Plenty weapon and store customisation options
  • Great music in-store
Cons

• Dungeons repeat themselves too often
  • Blocking is clunky
Score: 7/10

More information.

I'm a fan of the RPG/Tavern sub genre, but as long as the graphics are locked in NES visual images, I simply could not play more than a couple hours. . . at most. So at this point I am waiting (hoping?) for the sub genre to mature.

Back
Top Bottom