Grimshade - Preview @OnlySP

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
OnlySP takes a look at Grimshade, which is currently running a Kickstarter campaign that is almost half-way towards its goal.

Grimshade was born as a story-driven tactical role-playing game with turn-based combat and non-linear progression. The game is divided into two distinct phases: Adventure and Combat. During the adventure phase, the player has the option to progress the storyline, tackle side-quests, explore the location they are currently in, develop relationships with party members, trade, craft equipment, search for treasure, and engage in combat encounters.

At its core, Grimshade is a turn-based tactical combat game.

Our game is not unlike the myriad of Japanese tactical RPGs, but with a significant twist. While most tactical RPG games will lock a character with a specific role (or set of roles) with little growth outside of stat gains, Grimshade allows each character in the party collect and switch between a large variety of equipment that changes the way they work in combat, rather than improving their raw power.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Wondering ~ curious about the size of this developer studio looks like a ~ Neocore sized bunch, obviously being supported by an investor group, otherwise they couldn't keep a devteam of this size. Such people only work in one room/building if they get a good monthly salary!!

Pros:
+ Character face and body artist has some serious skill!
+ WOW! Max - who sez he is the lead designer of this game - is the least objectionable developer face I've seen in a 100 years! So he must be a mass-murderer psycho or somethin'.

Cons:
- Still his nerd buddies' face-creepiness are increased, (important? No! :])
- ** the monsters are represented in a butt-ugly cartoonish junk style,
- *** the engine seems to LAG while only 1 protagonist on-screen does his Baldur's Gate run.
- GUI font ratio is bad. Not horribly bad, but still.
..SIGH

Would I buy this game?

NO!

Doesn't look like they are going to make it, but while I dislike JRPGs this one reminds me more of "Inherit the Earth". Also I like the art style.

Backed.

I've been on the fence for this project for a bit, but the more I read about it, the more it appeals to me. Backed it this morning!!

Back
Top Bottom