Bard's Tale IV - Interview @Venturebeat

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
David Rogers was interviewed about The Bard's Tale IV by Venturebeat.

As as fan-supported project, The Bard’s Tale IV has plenty of references to the old games. You’ve got spells like Warstrike and songs such as Falkentyne’s Fury and Wayland’s Watch. InXile turned to the original MIDI recordings of the songs as it prepared its orchestrations.

“We took the old MIDI tracks and we brought them forward and orchestrated them, had our sound designers pour their love into it,” Rogers said. He went on to note that the games (they were on Apple II, Apple II GS, MS-DOS, Amiga, Commodore 64, and other formats) had different MIDI tracks, so the best depended on what platform you played on. He wasn’t sure what versions they used, but an InXile rep said over email that “some are from the GS and some from the Amiga. We picked and chose our fav[orite] ones."

[...]
More information.

Wretched ridiculous junk game! Looking forward for the C64 BT3 remaster tho.

Very on the fence on what I have seen so far, not looking that good nor does it give me a Bard's tale vibe. Hope I am wrong. Thank through Lord for the original remasters.

Certainly not sizing up to be what I'd hoped for when sponsoring the project, but if nothing else the re-masters alone will be well worth the price of admission. Of course, they still have much work to do as well.

I loved what I've seen so far, and it does give me a BArd's Tale feel, what modernization of an old game should be, opposite of what's happening with Final Fantasy 7.

BT stopped being BT to me once they went outside the gates of Skara Brae. I don't mind though. If its a good game I will play it - and it does look good.

The game looks pretty good to me. I've never played a Bard's Tale game before so I couldn't care less how faithful it is to the old games.

Underworld Ascendant is the one that has me worried.

This is one of those games that is probably more fun to play than watch

Very much looking forward to this. It looks like a modern hybridized take on a blobber. Say what you will about InXile, but they aren't afraid to take risks when it comes to game design - one of the more original developers out there, even if their games don't always sell well.

Back
Top Bottom