Underworld Ascendant - Backer Alpha Release

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The backer alpha has been released for Underworld Ascendant.

Backer Alpha Release

27 JUNE - DARQFLAME
Hi everyone, our Backer Alpha Release of Underworld Ascendant for PC, Mac and Linux platforms is TODAY! We're excited to share the build with you and get your thoughts, suggestions and feedback. There is still plenty of time to have an impact in a number of areas of the game, particularly around moment-to-moment game play, world interactions and system simulations. We will review all feedback that you share with us, whether via the survey (linked in game), bug reports or posts on the OtherSide Entertainment forums[www.othersideentertainment.com]. Please make an effort to keep your feedback detailed and constructive as that will be much more useful and actionable for us.

Please do keep in mind that this is an Alpha and the build is representative of an unfinished game. Is it unpolished, buggy, and you might encounter some instability (i.e., game crashes). That's normal for a game like UA at this point. We've been spending a lot of time getting things into the game and now our focus is getting those things working well and working well together.

At OtherSide, we pride ourselves on the breadth of experience and talent at the studio. As a small team of 14, we are striving to deliver a quality game that fits our size and stature. As a result, this is not a AAA game in scope or scale. That said, our goal with UA is to push depth of gameplay variety and we hope it provides a unique array of playstyle options and deeper world interactions. We think you all are aware of that, but it seemed worth repeating.

The build you will play is just a slice of the full game in terms of content like levels, creatures, items and loot as well as features like spells, combat moves, interactibles and things like that. We will also be posting a longer FAQ / Build Notes that will go into more detail about what's in, what's not, some known issues (not a full bug list), etc. Please keep an eye out for a link to that tomorrow.

We will be distributing the build via Steam using the same "app" as the Pre-Alpha Build. So, if you have access to the Pre-Alpha Build already, you'll be able to download the new Alpha Build when it's ready. If you didn't have access to the Pre-Alpha Build, we will be sending you a Steam Key for this Alpha Build via BackerKit. Our plan is to send those keys around before the Alpha Build is available on Steam so you won't have to wait for the key.

Thank you again for your support and your feedback. We hope you enjoy this early look at Underworld Ascendant.

The OtherSide team
More information.

Not me personally, but a couple friends are planning to give it a whirl. Whatever feedback I hear I'll play forward here at the glorious Watch, be it good news or ill. I'm hoping for good!!!

Or at least good enough to get good after release... (yeah, my bar has been moving downward for this game)

I tried it and, as sad as I am to admit it, I was very far from impressed. It's not that far out, as far as I know - and I'm not getting a great feeling.

Certainly nothing like what I would imagine a modern spiritual successor to UU would be.

There goes the neighborhood...

I tried it and, as sad as I am to admit it, I was very far from impressed. It's not that far out, as far as I know - and I'm not getting a great feeling.

Certainly nothing like what I would imagine a modern spiritual successor to UU would be.

Sorry to hear that, I'm still hoping it will be decent. What didn't you like about it?

Sorry to hear that, I'm still hoping it will be decent. What didn't you like about it?

Some of it is (hopefully) because it's still not in beta - but it's extremely rough in terms of the interface - and it's not like it's early days. IIRC, I backed this at least 2-3 years ago.

The level I got to play was clearly some sort of tutorial - so it's hard to tell how the actual levels are going to play out and look.

But, the alpha combined with what I've seen in PR material, gives off this odd "puzzle-like" structure. Almost as if they've gone too far with the player agency and experimentation paradigm.

While I'm about as big a fan of the immersive sim genre as you can be, it was never just about emergence or player agency.

To me, the primary aspect of this genre would be the "immersive" part - which, to me, is about world building and a living breathing place.

Beyond that, the original Ultima Underworld was a giant leap forward in terms of both technology and simulation aspects. Things that are both incredibly important to immersion.

This game looks and feels like a typical Unity game. As in, performance is not good and visuals are lacking. That's not necessarily an engine thing, but it's certainly par for the course for these low budget crowd-funded games.

In that way, it's anything BUT a spiritual successor.

More like a throwback to the ancient past.

Still, it's just a feeling more than anything solid. Things can change a LOT during the last few months of development, so who knows.

Ok thanks. Hopefully they'll improve it during Alpha. I'd very much like to enjoy this one.

Welcome :)

Yes, I really want this to be good - especially because a bunch of guys from my favorite (now dead) developer are working on it. If it's a success - we might see more.

Back
Top Bottom