King Arthur II - Now on GOG and 75% Off

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
King Arthur II: The Role-Playing Wargame is now available on GOG at 75% off for the launch week.

Britannia stands united. Peace has been secured in the lands of Camelot, King Arthur has drawn the sword from the stone. Yet his legend is only starting to grow.

The dark fantasy tale of King Arthur continues. Huge real-time battles, towering bosses and deep tactical options. Write the next chapter in the legend that is King Arthur in King Arthur II: The Roleplaying Wargame, now on GOG with 75% off for the launch week!Offer end 31st of August, 5pm UTC.

More information.

I recently gave the first King Arthur game a try but had a hard time getting into it. The battlefield controls seemed sort of clunky to me, and I thought controlling my troops felt more difficult than it should have.

I've seen the series get a lot of praise though.

I played and liked both of them, although seriously unbalanced and a bit buggy they have some really fun mechanics and does a lot of things extremely well. The second ones biggest flaw is that it isn't more open, you get pretty funneled in a certain path. Still fun though.

The first King Arthur was very rough, but the expansions improved the base game. King Arthur II on the other-hand was an improvement, but still has some unfixed fatal bugs.

I tried both of them and they seemed ok-ish. Never did care much for this combat-focused genre - but I know it's very popular, so maybe it's worth a shot.

I thought the first one was fantastic when I played it - haven't played it since - heard the 2nd was worse so never tried it but maybe i will. The first one had some crashes they never fixed no clue about the second.

The first one with all expansions was incredible, easily my favourite RTS. Actually the only RTS where I liked taking control of the units tactically instead of auto-resolving (I'm more of a turn-based person), even that part of the game was great to me. But what really sold me is the atmosphere, RP mechanics, quests, choose your own adventure text parts and story. Excellently done, and differently from the mainstream of such games. The standalone expansion for the first game is also excellent, with a tighter story focus, although being more linear in regards to choice and consequence, annoyingly, because it sets the stage for what will happen in King Arthur 2.

King Arthur 2 is more linear than the first, and not quite as good as far as I remember, but still quite worthwhile if you liked the first. I was personally still a bit miffed by the happenings in the standalone expansion, which didn't go according to my tastes, so that may have soured the sequels story a bit for me. Still. These are good (!) games.

Objectively, people complain about bad camera positioning (maybe, not something I remember), bugs and unoptimized performance (unfortunately yes) and needing to play the games in a certain way or be crushed. The last point is true, it's one of these - 'Ok, I made a bad strategic decision, now it's uphill' or even 'ok, I have no idea whether to do A or B, but after doing A, I've kinda' lost the game'. I like this if it is consistent and makes sense, but it could be argued it's too harsh and more importantly inconsistent at times. Save/load…

But absolutely recommended if you like a mix between good RP mechanics, story, choice and RTS.

Personally I'm sad that the developers focused on the Diablo clone Van Helsing (I think it was…?) after this series - although those are also fun games, they are more a-dime-a-dozen than refreshingly original RTS/adventure/RP hybrids are.

It was a pretty good game... if you have any interest in the theme and some of the mechanics, it's hard to go wrong at that price.

King Arthur II was two steps forward and two steps backwards. They improved the RTS gameplay, RPG mechanics, and the story/quests considerably. I loved how they took risks and deviated from classic Arthurian legend. The biggest issue was that they streamlined the management aspects of the campaign, giving it a feeling of being more linear.

Darkhawk and Silver Coins experiences mirror my own completely.

Back
Top Bottom