Age of Wonders: Planetfall - NPC Factions and Diplomacy

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Some new updates for Age of Wonders: Planetfall. Dev Diary #10 looks at NPC Factions and Diplomacy while Dev Diary #11 looks at Faction Customization.

Hi there! Welcome to this week’s development update where we’ll be discussing the role of NPC factions and the all new PvE (Player V Environment) Diplomacy system in Age of Wonders: Planetfall.

I’d like to emphasize the game is still in development so everything is subject to change; this diary includes some WIP interface stuff and onscreen text.

As you visit the collapsed worlds of the Star Union, you’ll notice they are filled with survivors. The game recognizes the following NPC Factions. (NPC is short for Non-Primary Combatants)

· The Spacers – Mutated descendants of the urban populations. Their society and religion were shaped by gaming culture, as the empire population was entertained extreme VR experiences. With the networks gone, they seek their thrills in the physical world.

· The Paragons – The former governing and elite classes. They’ve survived the collapse through life extending augmentations and therapies which are now faltering. They haven’t lost their arrogance and entitlement though.

· The Growth – Intelligent plants escaped from biotech company Terra Tech. They strive to live in a symbiosis with other life forms, not for people with tenctaclephobia.

· The Automons – Robots from the emergency services that have developed their own autonomous AIs after the central network of CORE went down.

· The Psi-Fish – Mysterious floating aliens that have become more prevalent after the collapse.

· Marauders - An umbrella term for the monsters and pirates that are beyond reason and cannot be negotiated with, not a true NPC Faction.

The NPC Factions are far from the sitting ducks from previous AoW games, they can’t be ignored. They might have alien savage societies, but are in the majority at the start of the game.

[...]
Hi there, welcome to this week’s Planetfall Journal where we’ll be taking a look at Commander Creation. The Commander is your in-game avatar, the embodiment of your empire in the making. Commanders come from variety of backgrounds, but all are sent out to claim a former Star Union world for their respective faction. The type of Commander you are has a great impact on how you achieve victory.

In this journal we’ll be taking a look at the game mechanic part of the customization process. As we go through the Customization Process, you’ll get a good idea of how gameplay mechanics and content is distributed in Planetfall. You can start a game either by choosing a pre-made commander or creating your own.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Another good development update but…
The Psi-Fish – Mysterious floating aliens that have become more prevalent after the collapse.
:lol:

Triumph Studios likes to get a little silly sometimes. From Age of Wonders III:

dire_penguin.png

Yeah, some of the factions sound pretty cheesy, but hey the penguins in the first AoW didn't break immersion for me either.

I liked the penguins. They're tougher than you might think...
giphy.gif

Yeah, some of the factions sound pretty cheesy, but hey the penguins in the first AoW didn't break immersion for me either.

The first one had penguins ? I don't remember that …

Capt. Huggy Face said:
Triumph Studios likes to get a little silly sometimes

Their text make word "tentaclephobia" into something ppl would like to experience. :)

The first one had penguins ? I don't remember that …

BTW Alrik, do you play Hero-U? It looks like a game for you.

BTW Alrik, do you play Hero-U? It looks like a game for you.

It's on my buying list. I'm still waiting through a few more patches.
I still don't understand why it had to be such a name, though. It's (or, at least its word game is) so much nonunderstandable for all non-english languages …

Back
Top Bottom