Pillars of Eternity II - Seeker, Slayer, Survivor Preview

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
A preview of Seeker, Slayer, Survivor for Pillars of Eternity 2 from the Obsidian site. Sceenshots at the link.

Greetings, Watchers,

We hope you've been enjoying all the soft balls we've used to ease you into Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire's combat until now, but the baby gloves are coming off. This month, we're releasing the Abydon and Skaen challenges in Patch 2.1, a Mega Boss for those who adhere to the "get good" philosophy, and an entire DLC focused around proving your worth through glorious combat. Prepare yourselves, Watchers - none of this is for the unworthy.

Seeker, Slayer, Survivor

Far from the bustling trade lanes of the Deadfire Archipelego, the most ambitious warriors of Eora gather to compete for divine favor. Face the challenges of Kazuwari's Crucible and seek treasure and truth in an arena designed to test the mettle of you and your party. Slay your way through the most challenging foes you have ever faced, both past and present. Survive the trials and whims of the spirits and their worshipers to prove you stand above even the greatest the Deadfire has to offer.

Be ready, Watcher. Seeker, Slayer, Survivor comes September 25th.

[...]
Thanks Silver Coin!

More information.

I'll be waiting for the GotY edition here.

With Kingmaker by the end of the month and the Battletech expansion in November my time is consumed anyway.

Sounds more like a Grim Dawn update than PoE II. I haven't played the game, but this doesn't fit my idea of what the game is.

Sounds great to me…although it's not like the game doesn't have enough content as is. I'll support Obsidian either way, I wasn't sold on PoE until a lot of patching and both the expansions had been released, but PoE2 is already stellar in my opinion. GOTY for me so far, with Pathfinder being the only possible contender unless I'm forgetting something.

Sounds great to me…although it's not like the game doesn't have enough content as is. I'll support Obsidian either way, I wasn't sold on PoE until a lot of patching and both the expansions had been released, but PoE2 is already stellar in my opinion. GOTY for me so far, with Pathfinder being the only possible contender unless I'm forgetting something.

Every game that isn't an RPG? I hope Kingmaker is good, but it looks bog standard, certainly not GOTY material unless you play one game a year. God of War was fantastic. Spider-Man is really good. Red Dead Redemption 2 will almost certainly be great. Subnautica.

So far POEII is my GOTY, although that's because it's the only game released this year I've played. That may change after Bard's Tale IV or Pathfinder.

Anyhow, this looks good to me, though I'd rather wait till early next year for another playthrough when all DLC is released.

Every game that isn't an RPG? I hope Kingmaker is good, but it looks bog standard, certainly not GOTY material unless you play one game a year. God of War was fantastic. Spider-Man is really good. Red Dead Redemption 2 will almost certainly be great. Subnautica.

I do play more than one game a year, but honestly it's not like I have to time to play hundreds or even tens of them, so I have to be picky. I play RPG's and Turn based strategy, that's about it. It's not that I don't think I can enjoy other games, I can and did when I had no kids and no wife. But today I only go for the games I believe I'll enjoy the most, and that means no GoW nor Spider-Man, action games simply aren't my thing. I probably will play RDR2 though.

Edit: Forgot about BT4, that could be a contender as well but I'm keeping my hype in check after reading lots of negative opinions on the Watch. Will certainly play it though.

PoE2 is also my GOTY, despite feeling very divided about the first game. I was expecting some minor improvements, but PoE2 made virtually everything better.

The best part is that Obsidian keeps adding a massive amount of new features and content with every patch. Josh Sawyer is even working on overhauling the ship combat. This level of support for a singleplayer game is unheard of, and has given me new respect for Obsidian. They're not just trying to capitalize on nostalgia, but create a masterpiece.

With that said, Red Dead Redemption 2 may surpass it for me. Rockstar has consistently made fun, ambitious, high-quality triple AAA games. I have high hopes for this one.

I hope Kingmaker is good, but it looks bog standard, certainly not GOTY material

Looks can be deceiving, IMHO Kingmaker is much more than "bog standard", definitely GOTY for me :)

Keep checking on Deadfire but don't think it ever went on sale yet!! So, likely I will wait till next year since I also just bought Battletech :)

Regarding this DLC, I'm excited for it personally. The screenshots look nice, it sounds properly challenging, and it gives me nolstalgia for the arena questline in Oblivion.

A couple people mentioned that they are turned off by the focus on combat, but it's just what the game needs in my opinion. Most of the combat in the game is broken up between tiny dungeons, and I'm cursed with always choosing the peaceful option in most sidequests. I look forward to a nice vacation from questing to bust some monster heads, and it's still going to have story and exploration as well.

Back
Top Bottom