General News - Wccftech's Best Roleplaying Games of 2018

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Last edited:
I agree with them including AC Odyssey in this list. First time I have seen it included in any RPG of 2018 list, which is just crazy. It's a fun open world RPG with fantastic setting and graphics. I hate the scaling, they should fix that.

Pathfinder Kingmaker > POE 2

KCD also, the rest of the stuff in that list, meh.

Already said don't expect most sites to list Pathfinder:Kingmaker. Lol and behold I was basically told to shut up, and it's hilarious. I'm proven right even when it makes a list.
It’s a much better game now, but it still isn’t quite up to the critical hit standard.

Most PC centered site seem to favor KCD, AC:O and PoE 2.

Already said don't expect most sites to list Pathfinder:Kingmaker. Lol and behold I was basically told to shut up, and it's hilarious.
If that's towards myself, then you misunderstood. I woudn't have taken a bet that P:K would make it on any list. I still see it as a niche game that's not suited for the current mass market.
But for anyone to be taken seriously (by me) when he has some kind retrospective to RPGs in 2018 (where a GOTY list is just one possibility) he has to mention this game.
And be it something like "While being a very good game we don't rank it on top because of its technical flaws".

But to be honest I've played only PoEII and KC on this list (currently playing AC:OD). So perhaps the other games are really that good and on a level with P:K.

Given the strong commercial and critical success enjoyed by Odyssey, as well as the recent blessing of series creator Jade Raymond,

Someone should probably check their historic revisionism at that place.

Most lists at the major sites seem to resemble each other. I'm sure thats all a coincidence ;-)

This kind of stuff is ALWAYS just a popularity contest and outlets go for the best known titles out there aka games who's inclusion will bring the most clicks. Remember - follow the money as it will rarely lead you astray as far as motivations are concerned. This isn't even a slight or anything, it's just how "our" journalism works.

Every time I read "Octopath" I must think of "Octodad", seems to be funny game, but I've never played that. ;)

If that's towards myself, then you misunderstood. I woudn't have taken a bet that P:K would make it on any list. I still see it as a niche game that's not suited for the current mass market.
But for anyone to be taken seriously (by me) when he has some kind retrospective to RPGs in 2018 (where a GOTY list is just one possibility) he has to mention this game.
And be it something like "While being a very good game we don't rank it on top because of its technical flaws".

But to be honest I've played only PoEII and KC on this list (currently playing AC:OD). So perhaps the other games are really that good and on a level with P:K.
Yeah, I agree. I've seen a number of lists now that didn't even mention it, which seems a bit odd. Even if people consider the likes of PoE2, AC: O or KC: D better, Kingmaker still deserves a mention, especially when they have a section called "Honorable Mentions".

Back
Top Bottom