Pillars of Eternity II - Hands-On with Turn Based Mode

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
CohhCarnage tried out the turn-based mode for Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire. Also Marooners Rock wrote a little about it.

Cohh takes a look at the new Turn Based Mode in Pillars Of Eternity 2 to see how it plays. - Watch live at https://www.twitch.tv/cohhcarnage
[...]

Turn Based Mode in Pillars of Eternity II offers players a new way to experience the game. It's exactly as it sounds. Each character in the combat is placed into an initiative order. As such during each character's turn they can perform an action and a movement. This will feel familiar to players who play Dungeons and Dragons. The only major change to that formula that each round a new initiative is created and the turn order will change as combat progresses. This does slow down the combat significantly as you only have to worry about one character at a time. This could be very useful and preferable for players who feel overwhelmed by the frenzy that is the traditional gameplay.
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Just a first impressions video touching the basics of TB mode. Didnt get much new information from it but it was interesting to see it actually run. I like what I saw so far and when I get back to Deadfire I will start new game in TB mode, rather then continue my old playthrough in RTwP. It will take me some time to get to it though,m so hopefully it will be all patched up by then :)

I'm waiting till the turn based system is fully integrated and patched in, then when the game of the year version hits the sale bin, I'll give this one a thorough try-out. I used to know a Cohh Carnage guy back in Everquest days, wonder if that's the same person, lol!

After the slightly underwhelming PoE1, this was a 'maybe' purchase for me. With TB added, it's near top of my list now! I watched a gameplay video and the implementation seems pretty darn good.

When I get to this game, it's nigh impossible for me to imagine choosing RTwP.

I would hold fire until it's out of beta. There are still lots of issues with TB version.

Back
Top Bottom