The Outer Worlds - Getting a Physical Release

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
GameInformer reports that The Outer Worlds will be getting a physical release and announces the price.

In addition to its availability on digital platforms, The Outer Worlds will also be available on disc at physical retail on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC. Regardless of format, Private Division has shared with us that the game will retail for $60.

While we know the platforms and price, Obsidian and Private Division are still not ready to share a release date for the game. As of now, we only know that The Outer Worlds has a planned release date sometime in 2019.

[...]
More information.

Is there going to be a collectors edition?

But will it be released on Steam and GoG? If not, then maybe physical media is not such a bad idea. As long as we can still get patches.

Are physical releases for PC games so rare now that we need a special announcement for them? :)

For anything not AAA, yes. Well, maybe not the announcement.

But then even AAA physical release are just a code in a box, I don't even understand why people bother.

If I'm getting a nice manual with the purchase of the game and box, then I'd likely go that route. That's assuming I wouldn't have to use an online platform either, because if that's required, I might as well just start and end there.

If I'm getting a nice manual with the purchase of the game and box, then I'd likely go that route. That's assuming I wouldn't have to use an online platform either, because if that's required, I might as well just start and end there.
Most boxed releases nowadays in stores for PC contain a key to download the game. I did order some older games on Amazon that are on DVD that don't require Steam.

Some boxes have a DVD + Key but it's not the complete game either.:(

Their stupid boring-to-death trailers generate 0% hype in me. Versus Rebel Galaxy Outlaw gameplay videos generate 100% hype. Why is that?

Most boxed releases nowadays in stores for PC contain a key to download the game.

This is good to know as I haven't had a computer with a CD/DVD drive for many years now... And I haven't bought a physical game in a long, long time (in part because I live in the middle of nowhere) but this game is high on my radar and if it has a good manual, map, etc that might be tempting enough to head into civilization for a couple days and get it.

I buy boxed versions regularly and definitely wouldnt agree that most of them are just boxes with download code. But it is true, that day 1 patch is quite common thing. And if this patch is as big as 20GB (for example), it kinda degrades added value of the retail copy for me. Collector value of standard retail version is almost zero, as there is mostly nothing aside of DVD box and game disc.

I've mentioned before, I think a great physical version of an RPG could just be a nicely printed book, containing the manual, the bestiary, some lore, etc. Then just include the code inside the cover. I'd be quite happy to buy that.

Yeah I'd pick up the physical version if it had a nice old style manual, for sure. And the code inside would have to be valid for either great old games or steam.

I am very happy that I will be able to buy TOW now that a physical edition is confirmed.

I strongly disagree that most retail boxes are only codes in a box.

I actually stumbled about two of them: Mass Effect Andromeda and the FIG editon of Pillar of Eternity 2 - Deadfire.

If you compare that to the CRPGs I bought boxed since 2015, which are

Blackguards 2
Lords of Xulima
Pillars of Eternity
Pixel Heroes - Byte & Magic
Red Solstice, The
Skyshine's Bedlam Redux!
Spellcrafter - The Path of Magic
Trapped Dead - Lockdown
Valkyria Chronicles
Vendetta - Curse of the Raven's Cry
Victor Vran
Witcher, The 3 - Wild Hunt
Banner Saga 2, The
Caravan
Champions of Anteria
Dragon's Dogma
KYN
Technomancer, The
Trulon - The Shadow Engine
Tyranny
Zwerge, Die (Dwarves)
Aerea
Battle Chasers - Nightwar
Demons Age
Divinity - Original Sin II
Expeditions -Viking
In Vitra - Illusion oder Wirklichkeit
DSA - Norlandtrilogie - Sternenschweif HD
Torment - Tides of Numenera
Vikings - Wolves of Midgard
Bard's Tale IV, The - Barrows Deep
Kingdom Come: Deliverence
Pathfinder - Kingmaker
Pillars of Eternity II - Deadfire

you should agree that Codes in a Box are a clear minority.

If people really want these things, then it's nice to hear it's happening. It's a win-win - because Obsidian get to score a few cheap points and the throwback audience are happy.

Personally, I don't see the point - but to each his own.

Agree with you all but the game is not a complete version in the box. As I can never install the DVD version as Steam will always reinstall the game with the day one patch.

Another trick they pull is not to include the main EXE file on the DVD either.

Last edited:
If people really want these things, then it's nice to hear it's happening. It's a win-win - because Obsidian get to score a few cheap points and the throwback audience are happy.

Personally, I don't see the point - but to each his own.

What do you mean by "throwback audience" exactly?

Agree withb you all but the game is not a complete version in the box. As I can never install the DVD version as Steam will always reinstall the game with the day one patch.

Another trick they pull is not to include the main EXE file on the DVD either.

This is unfortunately true. When there is day one patch I always have trouble installing the game from DVD media as Steam just starts to download. Its so ridiculous that if game is on more than one DVD, Steam asks you for each disc, but doesnt install anything from it. Instead after the last disc is inserted, the game is being downloaded. Its terrible practice. My reason for buying retail is slow internet and I often pay more then I would for digital version. Just to end up downloading whole thing anyway. Extremely annoying.

I haven't purchased a boxed game in years, and I don't miss them despite once being an avid collector. I grew tired of how much space they were starting to consume. I kept a few old favorites, but I'm not looking to add to them.

I'll be getting some kind of steel case collector's box for the System Shock remaster, but only because it was automatically included in the tier I backed.

Get ready for a full month of exclusive content from Game Informer covering Obsidian's upcoming RPG The Outer Worlds. We'll be showing new gameplay, interviews with the original creators of Fallout Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky, and Obsidian's CEO Feargus Urquhart

Back
Top Bottom