Shenmue 3 - Gameplay Preview

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
IGN has the first gameplay preview for Shenmue 3.

Suzuki tells me that he sees player freedom and everyday life as the two most important features of Shenmue, and everything he showed and explained to me about the game could be connected back to those two main themes.

"I haven't done proper research, so maybe I shouldn't say this, but Shenmue III might just have more voiced dialogue than any other game to date," he said. "When we brought the script to the translation agency, they were astonished by its volume."

"Shenmue III might just have more voiced dialogue than any other game to date" - Yu Suzuki

Anyone who has played the original games knows the incredible amount of dialogue they contained, but Suzuki believes there's even more of it this time. That makes the fact that Ryo will no longer be able to talk to every character feel like a positive thing rather than something to worry about. By giving up on the ability to interact with characters who won't do much more than show you the way to your next destination anyhow, Shenmue III should be able to add additional depth to the characters who really matter.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

I'm not sure what to think about the quoted part.
If dialogues aren't boring but interesting, funny and exciting, I say bring them on. If on the other hand it's trying to be more boring than latest overrated biography/drama/history on imdb, then I'll regret backing it on Kickstarter.

Don't see a problem as the last two Shenmue game were full of voiced dialogue. This is probably why the game will also be bloated, and take over 100GB of disk space.

The latest Final Fantasy ports had the same problem with the video and audio size.

So I clicked the IGN link. They write:
As you can see in the latest trailer, released at the Monaco Anime Game International Conferences, Shenmue III definitely does not have the graphics of a modern AAA title. Given the fact that it started as a Kickstarter project, this is no big surprise. But for older gamers who remember Shenmue as the most expensive and best looking game of its time, this can be easy to forget.
Then why did they spend their whole budget on Voice acting?!?!

Fight animations look like 20 year old game. So this is some anime lover story focused game where nothing else matters but listening to voice actors?

Voice acting is usually completely wasted on me as I habitually turn off the audio the moment I first set up any game. The sheer bloat of this game I find daunting, I supported the kick starter but I sure won't be firing this game up on day one. Maybe there will be some option to where you can remove the audio portion and thereby cut down on the size of the program.

I received a kick starter update for this project today via Yu Suzuki & Deep Silver, stating that the release date has been revised from August nineteenth of this year to November nineteenth.

Back
Top Bottom