Kingdom Come - Why Realism Matters

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
ExclusivelyGames talks about why realism matters in Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

In Skyrim, the player's health, magicka, and stamina regenerate to the max after a brief time. On the other hand, in KC:D, the player's health will not regenerate on its own. On top of that, the player's stamina only regenerates to match the remainder of their maximum health.

This means that if you lose half of your health during a fight, you'll only have half of your total stamina to work with for the rest of the fight. In other words, the more damage you take, the harder it will be to keep fighting.

[...]
Thanks Couchpotato!

More information.

Still have to replay it as I haven't played the last few DLC's yet. I should probably wait for the last DLC "A Woman's Lot" which should be released soon hopefully.

Heh-heh.
This is a common misconception, as the rant is not about "realism", it much more about balancing game systems. The black art of game design is to create a game balance that feels right.

On the contrary, mimicking realism often creates a very tedious game experience (see: the original Realms of Arkania: Star Trail )

Realism doesn't matter to audience who can't care less about it in videogames. For example console audience. When did they see realistic fur in games? Will they ever see it?

What matters generally is that a game is fun. Any game.
Is it realistic or not, let's leave it for historians and revisionists to fight over when they're bored.

The realism was the attraction to me.

To many games where the 5 foot bombshell, has the power of the brute 3 times the mass. Ok in some some games, terrible if you want a role playing game with any realism.

I have never been big on realism in games. I have real life for realism. Instead I want a game that is fun and balanced. Fun being extremely subjective and relative to the user.

I do, however, enjoy a game with a great attention to detail. NPC's that have a life - work, sleep, visit tavern, do different things; weather and seasons; night and day; animals, fish, birds, insects out and about with patterns;etc.

Immersion and logical consistency for the world the game is made in is important to me. Realism is not. For example many games have little to do with our reality but as long as they remain consistent within their own reality and laws then its fine.

I've enjoyed the game very much, one of best releases last year. Although the saving mechanic could had made it a complete flop for me. Thanks for modders for fixing that very fast.

After dozens of hours, I was a couple weeks without plying it and when I returned, I was just somewhat overwhelmed by the million of small taks to do in a quest to really bother, so that was it, didnt finish it. (having to travel accross several parts of the map to gather small things… Just busy work/time sink… Not in the mood for fetch quests, I guess)

But after almost a year, I'm thinking about playing the game again. It should be more polished now, and with the DLC. I hope the saving mod still works.

Modders didn't really fix it, just removed it.
The proper fix would be adding unlimited zeroweight schnapps in your inventory thus you still get a bit drunk on every quicksave. ;)

Realism in a game for me is about, as is life, you have to earn everything, Practice makes perfect, and that's what kingdom come does very well. fantastic combat, you reek the rewards for honing your skills, very satisfying.

Realism in games is good when it's fun. Fun is difficult if not impossible to measure from person to person. For example, in cRPGs I find a day/night cycle to be "fun" as it adds to the immersion of the world. Others don't like that because NPCs may not be where they are in the day or it's hard to see since it's dark.

There have been plenty of games I played where there was some sort of "realism" I really hated while others praised it.

This is truly a difficult line to walk for developers.

Only downside of this realism was how fast your clothes get dirty. Constant trips to a water bucket/seamstress get annoying after 20-30 minutes. Thankfully a mod fixed that.

I played the game as always dirty stinker. Well… Unless needed to wash at least behind ears for a quest. :p
Why would anyone use a mod for that? :)

Did that frickin' mod kit become a reality yet?

I'm just waiting for all the content to be released and available, and then I'll schedule a time to play this. I've heard so many positive reviews that I'm really looking forward to diving in!!!

Last edited:
One of my favorite games. I love it for the realism and the limited save system.

Realism that's tedious (having to wash constantly) isn't fun but a setting that replicates long ago central Europe is hugely fun to me. Combat isn't easy and you have to build your skills.

Great game.

Back
Top Bottom