Elder Scrolls Online - Previews

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
PixelOpinions and DigitalChumps previewed The Elder Scrolls Online - Elsweyr

Similarly, the new world activity that has continued the trend of finding replacements for the base games dark anchors are the Dragon hunts. Public events that will see a dragon spawn and eventually land allowing a group of players to engage in battle. These are much more challenging and demanding versions of public bosses which will require larger groups as well as those people playing their role, unlike public bosses which can be beaten by as little as a couple of experienced players. While these are very fun and rewarding experiences, you will quickly realize that they are not as dynamic as they first appear and even take place in predetermined areas. I have concerns about how manageable they will be once the initial population spike due to a new expansion subsides again. It gives off the impression that like their impact in the main campaign, they will end up just being there.

I realize that it seems like I am being very critical of the storytelling but I don't mean to be, it isn't bad by any means, it just doesn't meet its full potential. In fact, much like everything before it, what is here is very well written and exceptionally voice acted to its usual high standard. Just make sure you are a fan of the Khajiit and their unique way of speaking, otherwise you will find yourself a little annoyed since they are the most prominent race in Elsweyr. Truthfully, where the main campaign is lacking, the experience is more than made up for in the side quests which are amongst the best we have seen yet. This is the furthest from your boring kill x, collect y quest template of past MMOs. You will come across a wide variety of colorful quest givers with their own personalities and agendas that will send you on what feel like meaningful tasks.

[...]
The Dragons

These aren't you 2011 Skyrim dragons, nor are you the Dragonborn. The dragons in Elsweyr pose so much more of a threat, and you better make sure that you are prepared. These dragons believe that Elsweyr is theirs, and will make sure nobody is in the way to stop them.

The first time the player gets to see a dragon up close and personal is in the tutorial. The dragon is brought down by a horn the player blows that grounds them for a bit. A couple of the adepts and the player go to confront the dragon while it is grounded. It becomes rapidly apparent that the player is not yet ready to kill a dragon. The dragon is called away by a voice on the wind, and honestly, that was a lucky break. For the player and adeptorium alike.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Back
Top Bottom