HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
MMORPG reviewed Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night:

The RPG Files: The RPG Files: Bloodstained - Ritual of the Night Review

The RPG Files: Bloodstained - Ritual of the Night Review

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is the long awaited metroidvania title from former Castlevainia developer Koji Igarashi. Taking the helm on production along with the rest of the team from developer ArtPlay, Bloodstained promises a return to form for the vetern producer. Set in a dark gothic, medieval setting, this side scrolling platform offers more than simple jump attack repeat mechanics. However with the hype train being what it is does Bloodstained really offer players something new to one of the oldest genres in gaming? Grab that coffee kick back and enjoy our review of Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night.
[...]
The whole experience of BloodStained: Ritual of the Night feels polished. None of the mechanics or game elements presented are, in and of themselves, revolutionary but when brought together in this metroidvania title, offer up a compelling, engaging experience for fans of the genre. If you are a fan of the genre or wanting to dip your toes in, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is an excellent addition to the genre.

Score: 9.5

Pros

• Beautiful world design
  • Smooth, strategic combat
  • Excellent storytelling
  • Way more RPG depth then expected
Cons

• Can we get a sequel soon?
More information.

This is a good game.

I got this today just as I got home, I wasn't sure I was up for a Castlevania kinda game for a 35€ price tag… oh boy was I wrong. This game is brilliant inch for inch, and worth every cent.

Not much to say that hasn't been said already. Best game that has been released in a while by a fair margin.

This might be the next game I try. I highly doubt it's a legit 9.5, but it does look good, and I enjoy metroidvanias when they're done right.

Gaming journalists professionalism.
Nintendo gameboy product in a higher resolution than 320x200 so your eyes won't bleed - that's the reasoning for 10/10?

MC Hammer: "can't touch this".

Yea, pardon my ignorance.
To be honest by the looks of Chrono Trigger on Steam and bottlebottom glasses on former Gameboy kids who previously had 20/20 eyesight I thought the resolution was even lower.

Damn lazy trolling man, c'mon put at least some effort in it. :-D

Since it's kinda relevant, this game is fully compatible with 4k resolution both in windowed and full screen mode.

The con is that some of the controls/keybinds shown onscreen are controller-oriented, much like Dark Souls games. You can fully play with Keyboard, but sometimes you'll have to look up in the keybinding options what key you're looking for since some ingame prompts aren't defaulted to show you that.

Well, at the very least, it seems a very successful Kickstarter that delivered on its promise, which is always good to see.

It's not a game you want to play with KB+M. I mean, I'm sure it's perfectly serviceable, but ideally you'll want to use a gamepad.

I played through the first level this morning. It definitely captures that old-school Castlevania feel. It's pretty cool, but I wasn't blown away by it.

One thing that surprised me is that it doesn't support analog movement which is something I've come to expect from any modern platform game. Also, changing outfits isn't represented on your character although it'll show if you change headgear or shoes.

Isn’t it a 2d side scroller? What would be the benefit of analog movement?

Not a whole lot, but that doesn't stop other games from having it. It could help when trying to position your character exactly for a jump, etc, or if you need to get as close to an edge as possible.

Also, changing outfits isn't represented on your character although it'll show if you change headgear or shoes.

Later on you find a barber that allows you to customise the character's dress, hair, face, etc with new options that unlock as you find secrets in the game. It's not as good as every armour showing on the character but it's a nice touch.

Back
Top Bottom