Nethergate - Review

Perhaps my favourite Spiderweb game (close runner ups: Geneforge 1 and Avernum 3).

The only thing I disliked is the
Other world's constant environmental harm. Jeff just couldn't get rid of this cheap trick to add some extra difficulty in his games. Unnecessary, unfair and artificial.
Otherwise a truly excellent indie gem.
Great setting, very good writing, interesting situations, simple but fun gameplay systems.

In case anyone was wondering of the outcome of the battle in the thumbnail. The Roman lost. The viking went on to father Guy Fieris great great grandfather

Ah, the game that is sitting in my library for years now and I wanted to play for about the same amount of time. One day I will play them all…

One of my all time favourite games, I've played it through four or five times to date and have thoroughly enjoyed each visit. Of course it isn't perfect, but if you've played other Spiderweb offerings and enjoyed them, you'd likely have a good time with Nethergate.

I never played this game but I love the time period. The King Arthur Jack Whyte books are fantastic, set around this time. Also, the Bernard Cornwell Saxon Tales are some of my favorite.

I would have to play a Celt and bring back magic so I could summon Merlin ;)

The original version of the game that was released many many years ago was incredibly creative but also had some serious gameplay issues. The remake was much better, it managed to keep the flavor while vastly improving gameplay.

Back
Top Bottom