The Outer Worlds - Best Game of 2019 @ Destructoid

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Destructoid has chosen The Outer Worlds as their best game of 2019:

Destructoid's award for Overall Best Game of 2019 goes to...

The Outer Worlds

For years, we begged Bethesda to just give us another New Vegas.

Fallout 4 wasn't it. 76 definitely wasn't it. So Obsidian rolled up its sleeves and said "screw it, we'll do it ourselves." It's fitting, too, because Obsidian was ultimately responsible for New Vegas. Look, I have already scientifically proven that New Vegas is the best modern Fallout game. We want more non-linear, weird stories. We have spoken.

The Outer Worlds fits that bill to a tee. As I said in my review, when you kick off your tale with the phrase "not likely, bootlickers," you know the irreverent tone is on the level. From there it never really lets up with a masterfully crafted script and a completely out-there "flaw" system that allows you to truly play a role and purposefully acquire bad perks.

[...]
More information.

Sekiro would be my best of the year and new Vegas was the worst of the modern fallouts imo. Of course opinions vary. :)

Well, 2019 seems to have been a bleak year for rpgs... Personally, I don't think that Outer Worlds is bad, it isn't, it's actually quite good, but it's not what I would call "great". Of course, personal preferences and all that. Haven't tried it myself yet, but "Disco Elysium" seems to have at least tried to be a bit different, but otherwise, seems that were simply were the no great "mainstream-compatible" rpgs this year?

I should visit Destructoid more often.

I agree. I just finished playing it. Masterfully done. Just too short.

I should visit Destructoid more often.
Haven't visited that site since Jim left. Same with PCGamer when Deslock left.

I'm not surprised The Outer Worlds won, as lets face the facts not many high profile RPG's were released in 2019. As for me I'd pick this or GreedFall for RPG of the year.

Haven't visited that site since Jim left. Same with PCGamer when Deslock left.

I'm not surprised The Outer Worlds won, as lets face the facts not many high profile RPG's were released in 2019. As for me I'd pick this or GreedFall for RPG of the year.

But its best game, not specific to rpg’s. Not saying that should change your choice.

But its best game, not specific to rpg’s. Not saying that should change your choice.
Doesn't change my choice and my point still stands.:)
Haven't visited that site since Jim left.
Though I concede they said Best Game of 2019.

Sad state our world is in, when TRASH like The Gouter Worlds is called best. The best award should go to Rebel Galaxy Outlaw!

I thought TOW was decent, but it definitely wouldn't be my pick for best of 2019. It starts out strong but goes downhill in the 2nd half. Obsidian catered too much to the mainstream this time, and they really screwed up the itemization.

Metro Exodus would probably be my pick.

Sekiro, Resident Evil 2 Remake, Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, A Plague tale: Innocence, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, Borderlands 3… just off the top of my head.

Still games that wouldn't make a tops list any other year in the history of gaming, but at least better than the space scam that The Outer Worlds is.

I mean the game is so poorly done that it can be beaten in about 12 minutes by pickpocketing certain key and doing some walljumping. That's including loading screens and animated transitions. Some deep RPG right there.

Last edited:
I ran out of enthusiasm about half way through...maybe I'll get back to it in the new year. I don't consider it particularly memorable, but as others have said, on the RPG front things were a bit thin in 2019. Also stopped playing Greedfall about half way through - maybe I'm just not in the mood for these kinds og games right now. Been playing PF: Kingmaker again, and loving it - 400+ hours at this point.

Sekiro would be my best of the year and new Vegas was the worst of the modern fallouts imo. Of course opinions vary. :)

It's okay, not everyone here is a cRPG fan.

I mean the game is so poorly done that it can be beaten in about 12 minutes by pickpocketing certain key and doing some walljumping. That's including loading screens and animated transitions. Some deep RPG right there.

Fallout 2 can be completed in 17 minutes! So what? How on earth is that poorly done? Some would say that is an indication of how good a game is. Forget the artifical bullshit railroading that forces you do things in an exact order. Play the game how you want!

Sekiro, Resident Evil 2 Remake, Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, A Plague tale: Innocence, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, Borderlands 3… just off the top of my head.

5 of those are piles of shit I wouldn't even play if I was paid to. Plague Tale looks like my cup of tea though.

Last edited:
The only game I played (well, still playing) that was released this year is Greedfall - while I'm enjoying the story, it isn't really GOTY material for me...

The only game I played (well, still playing) that was released this year is Greedfall - while I'm enjoying the story, it isn't really GOTY material for me…
Yep but like I said slim pickings this year in most genres I play.:(

I spent most most this year re-playing older games.

Next year looks better if none get delayed again.
5 of those are piles of shit I wouldn't even play if I was paid to. Plague Tale looks like my cup of tea though.
I agree but I was never interested in Plague Tale. Seems every year I read about so many good games released that you must play. Yet I barely play a quarter of them.

I certainly enjoyed it, and can't say I recall any contenders I've played for RPG OTY. GOTY though, no, I'd put AoW:pF ahead of TOW, and probably some other titles as well if I sit down and go though what I've played this year.

JDR's opinions coincide with mine pretty well, the game started sooner than it finished, and the itemization is horrible IMO. Still, the story is pretty cool and I love the setting.

Back
Top Bottom