Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem - Video Review

The game had a rough start - but it's got a very good foundation. Bugs aside, I think it's in better shape than a lot of its competitors were at launch - and it's got a bright future, given how many people paid for it.

Personally, I think the genre has mostly moved on in the looter/shooter segment where the future lies - but I'll probably always enjoy a good Diablo clone.

The game had a rough start - but it's got a very good foundation. Bugs aside, I think it's in better shape than a lot of its competitors were at launch - and it's got a bright future, given how many people paid for it.

Personally, I think the genre has mostly moved on in the looter/shooter segment where the future lies - but I'll probably always enjoy a good Diablo clone.

it's a cheap product 5 or 6 maps in procedurally generated dungeons with a linear ending. I can't believe 40 people took so many years to do something like that. I'm not talking about the weird mechanics or massive bugs here, just the core product. Which is cheap to say the least.

it's a cheap product 5 or 6 maps in procedurally generated dungeons with a linear ending. I can't believe 40 people took so many years to do something like that. I'm not talking about the weird mechanics or massive bugs here, just the core product. Which is cheap to say the least.

If you don't understand what the product is and what content is actually there - then it stands to reason that you don't understand much about what's involved in developing it :)

If you don't understand what the product is and what content is actually there - then it stands to reason that you don't understand much about what's involved in developing it :)

yes i'm stupid, enlight me. What content is actually here? a 15h campaign without side quests or secret area and procedurally generated maps from a pool of 6 maps. What am i missing?

yes i'm stupid, enlight me. What content is actually here? a 15h campaign without side quests or secret area and procedurally generated maps from a pool of 6 maps. What am i missing?

I'm not saying you're stupid, just ignorant. But I'm glad you actually understand that the game has a meaty campaign - that took me around 20 hours to complete.

You sort of failed to mention that in your original post.

It's full of voice acting, cinematics, handcrafted bossfights and a ton of extremely detailed assets and visual fidelity.

The real heart of the game, however, is the combat system and the skill system. Animations and the pacing of combat are fantastic - and in this core way, the game is superior to pretty much all other ARPGs out there.

As for how you arrived at 6 maps, I have no idea. It has dozens of maps and visual themes.

The future is bright for the game - and it sold quite a few copies, so that's good.

I'm not saying you're stupid, just ignorant. But I'm glad you actually understand that the game has a meaty campaign - that took me around 20 hours to complete.

You sort of failed to mention that in your original post.

It's full of voice acting, cinematics, handcrafted bossfights and a ton of extremely detailed assets and visual fidelity.

The real heart of the game, however, is the combat system and the skill system. Animations and the pacing of combat are fantastic - and in this core way, the game is superior to pretty much all other ARPGs out there.

As for how you arrived at 6 maps, I have no idea. It has dozens of maps and visual themes.

The future is bright for the game - and it sold quite a few copies, so that's good.

Meaty? nice wording. Of all arpgs i played from d1 to the present day this is the most rushed, uninspired, linear campaign i ever seen. Skill system? half of the passive nodes out there are bugged and there is a strong meta due to crazy balancement issues. Combat system, try to shoot at those hitboxes.
If this is superior to any other arpg put there then this must be your first one.

You almost seem upset :)

Time to move on to another game, probably.

I quite enjoyed the first two acts - and the campaign is certainly superior to games like the first Diablo (which had the most simplistic quest structure and narrative presentation imaginable).

The final act did feel rushed and wasn't that good. Still, I enjoyed it well enough.

It's true that there are bugs and balance issues. But I've seen far worse at launch.

Anyway, we obviously don't agree - and that's no big deal to me.

Someone pass me some popcorn please.

Never would have thought this turd of a coop can generate such a saucey discussion. :D

Meat, popcorn, sauce. Strange combination, but Im getting hungry.

Someone pass me some popcorn please.

Never would have thought this turd of a coop can generate such a saucey discussion. :D

The game has a full single-player campaign. You don't need to play it coop.

It can shoot around corners for all I care.
I cannot pay only for the singelplayer campaign.

The amount of content is not the issue of this game at all. At least for me.

The issues are technical quality (bugs) and "polishing" of the progression mechanics (attributes, active skills, passive tree, and gear).

I'm pretty certain that this will become a very enjoyable hack & slash experience at some point. But I won't expect that to happen in less than a few months of fixes and updates. I hope their good sales numbers have provided them with enough resources to go through with this.

The amount of content is not the issue of this game at all. At least for me.

The issues are technical quality (bugs) and "polishing" of the progression mechanics (attributes, active skills, passive tree, and gear).

I'm pretty certain that this will become a very enjoyable hack & slash experience at some point. But I won't expect that to happen in less than a few months of fixes and updates. I hope their good sales numbers have provided them with enough resources to go through with this.

Based on my experience, games in this kind of state take at least 6-12 months before they're truly ready for the masses.

So, I would advise against getting it unless you're really into the genre and can live with the inevitable bugs.

But, really, Diablo 3 was much worse at launch in terms of server stability - and don't even get me started on the weak-ass itemization of that game before loot 2.0.

That's at least something I was able to avoid with Wolcen. No problem to play this offline. ;)

I did the same thing :)

But I do want an online character for cooperative play - I just wasn't in a hurry to hit a server crash wall.

I'm so used to launches like this that I don't ever expect servers to be up for the first couple of days.

As for the rest of the bugs and balance issues, that's absolutely par for the course in this genre. You should have seen what Martyr was like at launch :)

But I honestly don't think it's that hard to fix. But it's a relatively small developer - and they've clearly been caught by surprise at how many people are trying to play it online.

Given how solid the foundation is - in my opinion - it's a little sad that the initial reception has been mixed at best.

It really deserved a better launch, but oh well.

Back
Top Bottom