Utawarerumono: Prelude to the Fallen - Review @ RPG Site

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
RPG Site checked out the tactical RPG / Visual Novel Utawarerumono: Prelude to the Fallen (a PC version is announced as well):

Utawarerumono: Prelude to the Fallen Review

Going into Utawarerumono: Prelude to the Fallen, I was worried.

When I played Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception and Mask of Truth last year, I was blindsided by just how much the games ended up enthralling me. Although I started playing them while I was in the middle of a Visual Novel binge, by the end of Mask of Truth, I was just as much in it for the Tactical RPG gameplay as I was in it for the story. Mechanics like Attack Chains and Zeal/Overzeal elevated the battle system and helped accentuate what was already an engaging RPG, and a fascinating story about war, nations, and the allegiances that bind them.

[...]

It's certainly not the deepest Tactical RPG that I've played, nor the absolute best Visual Novel that I've read, but Utawarerumono: Prelude to the Fallen brings more than enough to the table to be worthy of your time. It may have taken entirely too long for the entire series to make its way over, but I'm glad that it has - and that more and more players will have the chance to start it. Utawarerumono is a great, charming series, and one that is more than deserving of a closer look. This remake might not stand the test of time quite as much as its sequels, but don't let that stop you from getting into the series - it's one that I can't recommend enough.

Score: 7/10
More information.

Back
Top Bottom