Outward - Review

I am on the fence for this one, and this video with the constant ironic/sarcastic comments did not help a bit :)

What should I think about this game? The exploration part is great but the single player experience is not optimal?

If the exploration part is awesome I am definitely ready to struggle with subpar mechanisms.

I didn't watch this one, but SsethTzeentach's videos are usually not reviews. They are humorous videos first and foremost. They are meant to entertain, not to inform. If you are on the fence about the game you'll need to read or watch another article/video.

My opinion of the game is that it is an obviously indie game (5 year-old graphics and somewhat dated gameplay) with some great mechanics, namely survival and travel parts of it and a save system that ultimately ruined it for me (only being able to save when you exit the game).

Errr, suggesting people pirate the game at 19:45?

Game is very clunky and low budget, at 75%off is worth it

I couldn't recommend the game.
Most of the mechanics seem to be designed to just waste your time - no quick travel, needlessly complicated preparations for each "journey", absurdly huge need for food, bonkers save systems, …
The combat and exploration is great (especially if you liked the Gothic games and similar ones), as is the skill system, but all the rest to get there is one huge chore.
The bad parts are just not worth the good parts, here.

Last edited:
Absolutely recommend to play this game! One of the best and innovative indie games of decade!
Fantastic atmosphere, exploration and music, it is all about journey instead of min maxing your stats, build and obtaining epic gear asap. And even then there is stats , various builds and tons of gear for you to find.
Of course it isn't AAA type game, but cmon, people recommend here even worse looking games with much tedious mechanics!
I rarely finish any new generation games, but I breeze through Outward and intend to play again with different faction. And right, it have this Gothic kinda feeling, when you travel around the world or try to outsmart your enemies.

Um, why are we looking at reviews of a game that's over a year old?

Um, why are we looking at reviews of a game that's over a year old?
Probably because it has a new DLC coming out, or its a slow news days.:D

Absolutely recommend to play this game! One of the best and innovative indie games of decade!
Fantastic atmosphere, exploration and music, it is all about journey instead of min maxing your stats, build and obtaining epic gear asap. And even then there is stats , various builds and tons of gear for you to find.
Of course it isn't AAA type game, but cmon, people recommend here even worse looking games with much tedious mechanics!
I rarely finish any new generation games, but I breeze through Outward and intend to play again with different faction. And right, it have this Gothic kinda feeling, when you travel around the world or try to outsmart your enemies.

Thank you. The 'atmosphere, exploration' bit totally sold it for me. I will wait until the DLC is out to start to play though.

Errr, suggesting people pirate the game at 19:45?

Also suggesting that he prepared a dish with a not so cooked chicken and a piece of bread. Also offering a place to buy it for cheaper.

Seth's reviews are specific but great and always on point, at least for me. Also entertaining first.

The game itself is kind of a slog, but if you like the survival genre then you may see beyond the shortcomings and enjoy the goodies.

And you have things to say to your grandchild checked, at the very least.

Back
Top Bottom