The Outer Worlds - Peril on Gorgon: Review @ Gameffine

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Gamffine has reviewed the DLC The Outer Worlds: Peril on Gorgon:

The Outer Worlds: Peril on Gorgon Review :: It's not the best choice, it's Spacer's Choice!

I should preface this Peril on Gorgon review with a disclaimer of sorts: Being a huge Obsidian fan, I played and completed The Outer Worlds at launch and loved every minute of it. This first-person RPG with a sci-fi space setting reminded me of Captain 'Mal' Reynolds' escapades on the criminally underrated 2002 TV series Firefly. The game's semi-open hub world spaces were a boon to me.

While in my teens, I loved exploring vast open worlds and dumping hundreds of hours in them. As I grew older and got burdened with (unwelcome) adult responsibilities, I started appreciating games that respected the limited time I could afford for this hobby - games that told their own small story, in which every nook and cranny were handcrafted. In those respects, consider my opinion on the game colored, and probably biased. So consider yourself adequately warned.

[...]

Real Talk

The Outer Worlds: Peril on Gorgon DLC expansion is a much-needed and welcome addition to the base game. While not perfect by any means, the DLC is an enjoyable romp, with unique locations and characters. The noir detective setting is designed well, and the choices and skill-checks provide the game with a decent amount of replayability. Although marred by certain technical limitations because of budget constraints, the bravado that the DLC's story shows in its limited 10-hour run-time makes me giddy with anticipation for the second expansion Murder on Eridanos, scheduled to release in 2021, and the big-budget AAA sequel that Obsidian will hopefully conjure, thanks to them now being a part of Microsoft Studios.

Score: 8/10

More information.

Essentially if you liked the original, you'll like the DLC.

I already shared my opinion multiple times. Don't think anyone wants to read it again.:biggrin:

Hopefully the second expansion doesn't get delayed another year.:fingerscrossed:

Not a big fan of the base game. Hence, I passed on the review opportunity to my colleague. Phew I remember the days when I was a big Obsidian fanboy

Not a big fan of the base game. Hence, I passed on the review opportunity to my colleague. Phew I remember the days when I was a big Obsidian fanboy
It's not bad for what it is but it feels generic and bland halfway through.:)

My biggest gripe was the same equipment just in different colors.:(

I liked the game enough to start a second playthrough after I finished the first (though I didn't get more than 10 or so hours into it). A DLC this size isn't enough to get me to pick it up again, but maybe down the road after the second one is released.

I started a new character. Will see how far I get. The first was a charming sniper. This one is a walking melee tank. somewhat the complete opposite. So making it a bit more interesting.

I had a $10 coupon on Epic, so I bought the Season Pass. Having said that, there's just so many other games I'm more keen to play instead right now.

Back
Top Bottom