HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Windows Central reviewed Yakuza: Like a Dragon:

Yakuza: Like a Dragon review -- An unexpected masterpiece

Here's to the heroes of tomorrow

The Yakuza series has always delivered good games. Since the first Yakuza released back in 2006, the game has since garnered a cult following that has steadily grown with every release, often blending the underground politics of the Japanese crime world with the mundanity of real-life and the absurdity of an anime. With such a unique mix of themes making up the story, It's only fitting that the DNA of a Yakuza game is also made up of a blend of gameplay genres as well. Describing a Yakuza game is sorta like if Shenmue had a baby with Grand Theft Auto, and that baby decided to beat people up, Streets of Rage style.

Previous Yakuza games built on this blend of genres, crafting a high-quality crime drama that often centers around long-running series protagonist Kazuma Kiryu and the Tojo Clan. Yakuza: Like a Dragon sets itself apart in two major ways; the first is that it's the first entry in the main series that isn't led by Kazuma Kiryu, and second, it swaps the beat 'em up gameplay that has been a staple of the series in exchange for turn-based JRPG combat.

[...]

Yakuza: Like a Dragon feels like everything I ever wanted in a game. Once the game stomps on the gas, it very rarely slows down. Its unique cast of characters and gameplay had me hooked and wanting more, and it almost feels like it never stops giving. Even after the story ends at the 45+ hour mark, I was ready to fight more, complete more side missions, and squeeze out every drop of gameplay that this game has to offer.

Yakuza: Like a Dragon is one of the best games of 2020 and one of the best RPGs in recent memory. This game is something extraordinary and should not be missed.

Score: 5/5
More information.

Metacritic aggro is above 80 on different platforms.
I'm not objecting, my plan is to start it as soon as it gets released.

Back
Top Bottom