The Outer Worlds - Review @ Fullsync

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Fullsync checked out The Outer Worlds:

The Outer Worlds review: Tell 'em I ain't coming back

The Outer Worlds was originally released in October last year - you know, before the world went to hell. Playing Obsidian Entertainment's tale of a future gone horribly wrong actually seems somewhat more appealing now, given the context of 2020. Over a year later, the mischievious spacefaring RPG is now available on Steam, along with first DLC Peril on Gorgon. Having smashed through The Outer Worlds via Xbox Game Pass on a laptop with struggling hardware, I was very keen to give it another run on desktop.

You are a rare new arrival in the troubled Halcyon colony, a distant collection of planets run entirely by corporations - imagine Fallout: New Vegas briefly passing Borderlands in a narrow hallway, doing that awkward step to the side, and you have a half decent idea of the game's tone. It's not as dry as Fallout, not as completely insane as Borderlands, occupying a witty, sarcastic niche somewhere inbetween.

[...]

The Outer Worlds overall thoughts

The Outer Worlds is a treasure that outclasses the titans of its genre in terms of charm, visual appeal and wit. For every corner it cuts, there's another delightfully intriguing, bleak comedy-laced story just waiting on the horizon. Obsidian have proved that freedom and player choice don't have to go hand-in-hand with old, clunky mechanics and hordes of bugs. It's Fallout's wittier, better-looking younger brother with a crass sense of humour. My only real complaint is that I couldn't spend more time with my crew before it all came to a very conclusive and shockingly tidy ending. Ironically enough, this space-faring shooter is a real breath of fresh air.
More information.

Like I said before I don't think comparing The Outer Worlds to Fallout or Elder Scrolls is a good comparison. Bottom- line I enjoyed the game, but haven't played the DLC.

Anyway this has been discussed many times already.:)

Like I said before I don't think comparing The Outer Worlds to Fallout or Elder Scrolls is a good comparison. Bottom- line I enjoyed the game, but haven't played the DLC.

Anyway this has been discussed many times already.:)

Agree - a review a year later without anything new to discuss (did they play the DLC, couldn’t tell from the review?) seems pretty pointless.

I really enjoy it, and am replaying on Switch now to evaluate the massive patch the game finally received (makes it much better but not up to PC level) ... but it is a pretty small world overall. Thoroughly enjoy it, but compared to some of the sprawling RPGs we enjoy it is a tough comparison.

I actually enjoyed this in part due to the smaller scope. Don't get me wrong... I still love a larger, sprawling open world RPG but I also appreciate tighter games and I liked the fairly short arc of this game.

I agree. A bit short (didt have the DLC when i finished it), but a real gem.

Back
Top Bottom