Age of Conan - Letter from the Game Director

woges

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Gaute Godager gives out some insite on the near future goals of AoC's development.
Fellow Hyborians!

As you may have noticed we have had frequent patches the last two weeks. We hope this will soon start to quiet down, but as long as there are major issues – and there have been – we will dedicate the Conan team to fixing them and giving you these fixes as soon as possible! We have a plan on how to move this game forward because as you know, what you have today is but the platform – the dawn of this world. I hope you enjoy the game as is, but I can ensure you, this is but the beginning!

Our focus from now on can be summarized by these points:
  1. We will add content, specifically in mid-late thirties and mid-late fifties and make the leveling speed smoother in those areas, reducing the need to grind.
  2. We will have an overhaul of the PvP system – adding consequence and a host of small things.
  3. We are fixing bugs you reported through all channels we can get information from.
  4. We will add a new large outdoor region in the 55-60 range this summer!
  5. This is only a small taster! More information about the exciting summer and fall Roadmap will come the end of the next week!
  6. We are staffing up Customer Service, Quality Assurance and Community departments!
More information.

Lol, thats a diplomatic way to admit the game is totally borked.

Funcom has apologised for accidentally deflating the breasts of the female models in Age of Conan.

ROFL Ok, this seriously made me laugh!

That letter is nice and all, but we already know that Gaute can make enough sweet promises to cure cancer.

What we DON'T know, is whether he's capable of keeping them.

When models get resized in WoW (weapons and shields tend to be bugged every now and then), there's only a few mentioning it, but when the breasts get smaller on their characters in AoC - there's an uproar!

Something tells me we're not talking about female players here..

When models get resized in WoW (weapons and shields tend to be bugged every now and then), there's only a few mentioning it, but when the breasts get smaller on their characters in AoC - there's an uproar!

Something tells me we're not talking about female players here..

The real uproar is in the lack of breast size adjusment in the character creation. Thread about this is allready building on the boards.

As far as the Euro forums are concerned I tend to ignore most of it. I can stand only so much senseless whining before killing mode sets in. I never even noticed this tits thing but I am playing a male character.

It's worse. This is almost as bad as Starforce. Or possibly even more serious.

[ http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=144497 ]

LOL, the title is really great! "Age of Conan breasts to be re-inflated"! lol SO fitting. I love Eurogamers, they always make really tough reviews, now those "oh its all glitter and great" auto-praise mode reviews other sites have. Personally I feel 7/10 is still a bit too much, I'd rather give it 5 or 6 of 10, but I guess thats a matter of taste.

Thx for bringing this hilarious fact to us. Now where can we get our penis inflated? Oh wait, thats a built-in feature which just has to be triggered. =P

8/10 for Dungeon Runners and 5 or 6 for AoC sounds about right does it?

8/10 for Dungeon Runners and 5 or 6 for AoC sounds about right does it?

AoC = 0 (it doesn't work).
Dungeon Runners = free.

If AoC gets fixed in a timely manner, then I think it'll rate a solid 7-8. If they manage to implement half of what they promised or lied about after that, it MIGHT even rate 8.5-9.

So any free game should get an 8/10 score because it's free? Which DR's isn't if you want to use the higher quality items while a just released bugged game is rated 0 no matter what else it brings to the table? I don't share that logic really, sorry. I do feel that these sites have rushed out their review's and you should play the game through to check if things are in a state at higher levels before putting out a review.

So any free game should get an 8/10 score because it's free? Which DR's isn't if you want to use the higher quality items while a just released bugged game is rated 0 no matter what else it brings to the table? I don't share that logic really, sorry. I do feel that these sites have rushed out their review's and you should play the game through to check if things are in a state at higher levels before putting out a review.

I don't think I said anything about a rating for DR.

I said it was free, so it doesn't really matter how good it is.

AoC isn't just bugged, it's non-functional in terms of being an MMO.

I'm not asking you to agree.

5 or 6 sounds about right... well, in my own system anyway. I mean, bugs and the non-existing support aside... I was bored by AoC after the first 20 levels already. Guess it's a taste thing, maybe even a perspective thing, but whenever a new MMO hits the shelves I'm hoping for something better, and not just the same old stuff in a new package. But that's exactely what AoC is. Great graphics, without doubt, but apart from that AoC offers little innovation. If you start out playing AoC you'll soon realize that this is the MMO stone age again. I'm not saying that AoC itself is bad, there seem to be some people out there who like it, but it's a bit like playing a four year old beta of WoW.
Maybe it's just me, but I'm extremly tired of these MMOs where you basically just rush trough untill you're max level. While you're leveling you enjoy the sights of the game, how beautiful everything looks, etc., but somehow you already know that this is not a game you'll stick to in the long run.

And so I'll just keep on waiting for the next Everquest...

I'm not saying that AoC itself is bad, there seem to be some people out there who like it, but it's a bit like playing a four year old beta of WoW.

Not bad - just unfinished. I got bored to wow in 3 weeks after playing it in polished state. Hopefully AoC will be better once they get it done. AoC is more akin to GW which Im still strongly hooked so perhaps theres a chance. Its a matter of taste after all.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm extremly tired of these MMOs where you basically just rush trough untill you're max level.

Thats exactly what aoc is not suppose to be. AoC quests are not run throughs like in wow and friends. The aoc quests have voiceovers (unfinished), thers a main story (unfinished), better quest descriptions and better quest quality in general.

Quality over quantity. I hate nothing more than endless amount of generic quests where you run max speed towards the arrow like a robot chicken doing meaningless tasks (gather this rock, kill that mouse, etc) for x hours to get y amount of xp/gold.

Som people have allready praised the quests even in their current state so I guess its true to som extent atleast. But most of the planned quests are still undone so I guess theres still lots of grinding involved if you go to the later levels.

After wow I almost gave up hope on mmogs but then I tried guild wars and Im still playing it. And its the quality of quests (combined into a main story) that keeps me int it. Hopefully that is the case with AoC too. Atleast with time.

Last edited:
The DR thing was a reply to elikal's statement on Eurogamer's reviews. It was Eurogamer that gave DR 8/10.

Not bad - just unfinished. I got bored to wow in 3 weeks after playing it in polished state. Hopefully AoC will be better once they get it done. AoC is more akin to GW which Im still strongly hooked so perhaps theres a chance. Its a matter of taste after all.
Ya, it's completely instanced - a thing, which I totally dislike because it removes the "massively" in MMO. But as I said, it's personal taste.

Thats exactly what aoc is not suppose to be. AoC quests are not run throughs like in wow and friends. The aoc quests have voiceovers (unfinished), thers a background story (unfinished), better quest descriptions and better quest quality in general.
Well, then you played another game than I did. The quests are of exactely the same sort. Go there and kill 10 of that, then go there and collect that, go there and deliver that... there are exceptions, like the destiny quest chain, but that's one quest chain. There are a couple of others as well, but you can find these in WoW too. I'm afraid to tell you that Lotro has a way higher diversity when it comes to quests than AoC.
The voiceovers are only on Tortage, as soon as you leave the island only the destiny quest chain has voiceovers, all other npcs won't even greet you with a "hello" or say "goodby". So far I haven't read anything about other quests getting voiceovers in the future, would be cool, but I believe it when I hear it.

The rushing in AoC is hard to avoid because you level so damn fast. There also isn't really much to explore so there is not much to do apart from leveling. But if you liked GW you might like AoC... it's just not my cup of tea, I guess

Som people have allready praised the quests even in their current state so I guess its true to som extent atleast. But most of the planned quests are still undone so I guess theres still lots of grinding involved if you go to the later levels.
Its the quality of quests that keeps me playing guild wars. Hopefully that is the case with AoC too.
People praise a lot of stuff, especially when it's new. AoC has probably the most fanatical fanbois I've ever seen, so I wouldn't give all too much on their talk.

Ya, it's completely instanced - a thing, which I totally dislike because it removes the "massively" in MMO. But as I said, it's personal taste.

Yeah its all taste. I never even noticed the instancing in GW. And once I did I actually liked it. And therr are crowds of ppl in it during rush hours so thers somthing massive in it too.

Wow had less of instancing but somtimes it lagged so bad that the game disconnected. The lag killed the immersion (and the players who didnt roleplay => more players = less immersion).

Well, then you played another game than I did. The quests are of exactely the same sort. Go there and kill 10 of that, then go there and collect that, go there and deliver that... there are exceptions, like the destiny quest chain, but that's one quest chain. There are a couple of others as well, but you can find these in WoW too.

All rpgs have such quests more or less. The main difference is that i.e solo crpg have a mainstory that gives meaningful reasons for doing them. In GW the mainstory did that. In wow though I never quite understood why Im doing all these meaningless tasks - the game lacked a central story. I read all the quests text in wow but I couldnt get anything out of them.

People praise a lot of stuff, especially when it's new. AoC has probably the most fanatical fanbois I've ever seen, so I wouldn't give all too much on their talk.

Hers few comments from f13 (I would not call them as "fanbois")

Yes I like the quest text in Tortage too. However one of the things that bugs me about the game is that there's no faction/alignment system in the game (at least in the newbie zone which I'm still in) but the Tortage quests, if you do them all, are constantly bouncing between quests of "good" (e.g. the entire Resistance storyline) and "evil" (or at least amoral).

I didn't read 99% of the quest text until the noble district.

Once I got to the noble district, for whatever reason, I read all the quests. Now I read Every Single One of them.

**** did they write it well.

So you see som do like the tortage quests (and noble distcrict) so perhaps there is som potential. You dont seem to like them but as you said its a matter of taste. Perhaps you have played too much of other mmos or somthing and burned out. Each person can have a different view into the game.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom