Turn Based Lovers - On The Radar: January 2021

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Turn Based Lovers listed promising upcoming turn-based games for January:

On The Radar - January 2021

The picture in my mind is clear: it's the 24th of December and there is the "little me" under the covers. It's almost midnight and I should sleep but I can't. I'm waiting for something, a blurry reddish shadow, a soft sound of steps on the floor, and, maybe, the faint smell of sweets.
When I was young, Christmas was all here, in the emotions aroused by the expectation.

It didn't matter what I was waiting for, it could be a robot, a remote-controlled car or the brand new Intellivision. This was not really important. Most of the joy was in the anticipation, in the loooong waiting between the end of the summer and that magical date, but obviously, at that time, I cannot explain why the waiting was so exciting.
The fact is that our imagination, like Lewis Caroll said, "is the only weapon in the war against reality" and in my mind the robot was always a lot cooler, the car a lot faster and the... Intellivision a lot funnier. By this I don't mean that my gifts were always disappointing, on the contrary, but they simply couldn't compete against my imagination.

After all, the situation is the same when we are waiting a game for a very long time. In this case, we talk about hype and everyone knows that "the hype" can be very harmful for the game itself (who said Cyberpunk 2077!?!). And who is responsible for that? It's obvious, the culprit is, again, our imagination. We can say that the more is the hype the more is the power of our imagination. Nowadays is not so uncommon to announce a game many years before its release and, believe me, this is never a good thing. Waiting sharpens the appetite but not forever, so maybe here, as elsewhere, the best way is the middle way!

[...]

[...]
More information.

Yeah sage advice but then he goes on to recommend crappy TB games.:p

From the list above, only the new Frontline game catches my attention. :)

Yeah, not impressed by this group.

Frontline: World War II doesn't look too bad, but the other 3 seem mediocre at best.

I agree with you, Couchpotato, but it wasn't my intention to "recommend" games. The column "On The Radar" has only one goal: to inform which turn-based games are going to be released during a certain month, nothing more nothing less. I often try to give visibility to those games that are very "indie" or very small, because sometimes you can find among them a raw gemb :)
That being said, you are right, this month we don't have big releases, but someone may still find interest in some of the games I mentioned.
(Hardcase)

Back
Top Bottom