Empire of Ember - Early Access Version released

Good I'll wait for the full release as it's similar to Legends of Ellaria.

I recommend waiting as it's pretty rough
Although new drivers fixed a few issues for me

It had some rough edges indeed, but I had a lot of fun with it. I had much less issues than with legend of ellaria actually.
Empire of ember is also better designed IMO. The management, army and exploration parts are more coherent IMO and the difficulty better balanced(LoE is too easy, EoE might be a bit too difficult on the beginning).

I think the game has a lot of potential.

Another production that I'll be waiting for the full release and debugging process to be completed before stepping in myself. From what I've read so far, it does sound like something I'll enjoy.

The Dev was really super reactive, and listened to feedback a lot.
Here are patch 1 notes :

Empire of Ember

Suivre

MagasinCommunautéForum

Tous les évènements > Évènements Empire of Ember >

Player feedback patch #1

Sorry for the delay, this was finished yesterday but Unity's addressables system will randomly get stuck in infinite loops while trying to make builds.

Requested by Toonarmy: Added invert look to general tab of preferences.

Requested by Galdred: Buildings were too expensive to build and were not economically useful for about 100 days. Halved costs of player production buildings, increased the cost of buying resources from the market directly, and the market produces more gold

Requested by Galdred: Fixed markets not replenishing player equipment

Requested by LVVRunner: Moved debug key off F12 which conflicted with the Steam screenshot key

Requested by LVVRunner: New method to show telekinesis throw destination

Requested by sir0die: The red icon on the minimap for enemies is now brighter

Requested by Tchey: Added a camera section to the controls menu

And here are patch 2 notes :

Community feedback patch 4/2/2021
Crash fixes, improve the radial command menu, improve necromancy, and others

1. Improved materials of walls, wizard tower, library

2. Fix townspersons you need to rescue from dungeons being partially under the ground

3. Fix knocking down opponents by using a power attack against shields.

4. Reduce units standing around during village combat. This was because destroyed objects still blocked the navmesh.

5. Fixed level 2 markets selling amulets for free

6. Don't prompt to bring units with you on linear missions if you don't actually have anyone in your army

7. Increase rarity of high-end loot. Each higher-level item is 4X less likely to show up than the prior level item. For example, rare gems are 4X less common than uncommon gems, which are 4X less common than common gems

8. Fix crash caused by exiting to the main menu in the middle of a dialogue, then starting or loading another game

9. Crash reporting, Reduce number of reported crashes with AICharacter setup, IsGrounded2 checks

10. Properly fix mouse and gamepad look up down inverse. Removed look up/down option from General preferences. Instead, in control options click the circular icon next to the control.

11. Allies will now follow the player into boss rooms

12. Make telekinesis look better close to the player

13. Simplify first level to reduce incidence of freezing during loading

14. Thanks to
Thypoon
: Increase starting health by 30%

15. Thanks to
Zatio
: Block player from progressing if they don't pick up the mace in the tutorial

16. Thanks to Mr. Tickles
McCuddles
: Use the mouse to click the radial menu. Also Fix the radial menu when using the gamepad

17. Thanks to
ZipRar
: Fix being stuck on loading screen caused by entering the mode to 'look around town' twice in a row

18. Thanks to
DitoLoco
: For 20 spellbooks you can recover your health at the start of siege battles. Also moved cost of siege battle options to Difficulty_Default.json to make the costs easier to change in the future.

19. Thanks to
DitoLoco
: You now get loyalty from rescuing occupied villages or villages under siege

20. Thanks to
DitoLoco
ralordraymondo
: Undead now last for 5 minutes and more powerful undead 7 minutes. This makes it viable to run a necromancer build through an entire level, while still forcing the player to keep moving

21. Thanks to
ratrogue
: Don't allow walking through braziers in the tutorial

22. Thanks to
ratrogue
:
prefragment
skeletons so they look better when you break them

23. Thanks to
ratrogue
: Make first tutorial door handles be circles instead of ovals

24. Thanks to
ratrogue
: Fix spelling of siege

25. Thanks to
Miku
: Fix build mode music playing even with music turned off in the settings

26. Thanks to
LVVrunner
: Fix telekinesis picking up the player if the player is standing on top of the object being affected

27. Thanks to
LVVrunner
: Fix dead bodies picked up turning invisible

28. Thanks to
Galdred
:
Spellbooks
as a dungeon reward doubled to 20/30, and also increase over time

29. Thanks to
Galdred
: Chain lighting does damage and consumes mana 33% faster

30. Thanks to
Galdred
and others: The number of enemies from very easy to very hard dungeons now scales from .25 to 1, rather than .5 to 1. This means the easiest dungeons will have half as many enemies as before

31. Thanks to
Galdred
Fix minotaur

32. Thanks to
DitoLoco
: Summons don't count as causalities

Of course, I am biased because he implemented several of my suggestions already but it is super refreshing to have a Dev who really takes feedback to heart

It had some rough edges indeed, but I had a lot of fun with it. I had much less issues than with legend of ellaria actually.
Empire of ember is also better designed IMO. The management, army and exploration parts are more coherent IMO and the difficulty better balanced(LoE is too easy, EoE might be a bit too difficult on the beginning).

I think the game has a lot of potential.

How much time is spent on the city building and army management aspects vs the exploration parts?

Also, how good is the exploration? I noticed the dungeons are procedurally generated. Do they feel that way?

A good analogy for Kingdom management Vs battles (ie, you + your troops) and dungeons would be XCOM:
You spend relatively little time managing your kingdom, and you do quests to help improve it (by clearing opponents from villages, clearing hideouts, or exploring dungeons to unlock new troops or to find more research books).

As for the procedural dungeons, it is a relatively standard random arrangement of preset rooms and corridors.
So you do recognize the rooms, but it didn't bother me. It is a bit like your typical dungeon crawler boardgame in this regard:
Warhammer quest, descent, or gloomhaven use a similar preset system.

Thanks for the comparisons. I might check it out after a few more updates.

I'm glad to hear the kingdom management isn't a big timesink.

Back
Top Bottom