Sunless Skies - Sovereign Edition is out now

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Sunless Skies got a major overhaul:

Sunless Skies: Sovereign Edition is out now!

As promised, Sunless Skies: Sovereign Edition is now available on PC and consoles!

This is the game's debut on PlayStation, Xbox and Switch, with many completely new features, fixes, and improvements. And if you already own Sunless Skies here on Steam, you can play it now as a free update!

There are many, many changes, but here are a few highlights:

• Major changes to character progression. We've reworked the interface, and added new facets to define your captain - did you lose your soul (and find it again)? Do you have a special connection with spies, devils, talking rats, or Rubbery Men? And legendary captains can now continue to improve their ability even after reaching the cap of level 20.
  • A reworked and expanded starvation system. As desperation grows, you can now attempt to eat an unprecedented selection of unwise, unpleasant, or tragic things.
  • A new exotic engine. It's very fast, but not very good at stopping...
    A complete rework of controller support and many improvements to interfaces, to make it as smooth and pleasant as possible.
There are literally hundreds of other improvements, bug fixes, and optimisations - you can read the full change log if you're curious! And of course it includes everything we've added since the original launch in the Wayfarer, Vagabond, Horn, Hoarder and Urchin updates.

We'd like to take the opportunity to thank our excellent porting partners, BlitWorks, for doing such a fine job with the ports. And whether this will be your first visit, or a triumphant return, we warmly welcome you to the High Wilderness!
Thanks Henriquejr!

More information.

Been waiting on this... now gotta decide if I play this on my PC or Switch... ah, first-world problems.

I've heard good things on this one, haven't taken the plunge as of yet. Has anyone here extensively played it?

Yeah, I have. I played ~30 hours in Early Access and then around 60 more after it was released. Have you played Sunless Seas? How much you liked its predecessor is going to be your best barometer for this one. In order to enjoy their games, you have to:

Like reading and appreciate good writing.

Not mind a slow pace. Lots of people complain about how (not) fast your ship goes.

Not mind grinding. Grinding stats, grinding resources. The basic gameplay loop is to cycle around to different ports, advancing various stories in them while making money trading and such.

Have better than terrible hand eye coordination. I don't think not dying is hard at all, but there are plenty of people who seem to have trouble with the basic shoot/don't be shot elements of the game.

The star of the game is the setting, which has been developed for years in Fallen London and the two Sunless games. I think the graphics, while nothing cutting edge by any means, are also very good, and the music for both Sunless games has been excellent. It's also good bang for the buck, if you care about that. There's quite a lot of content, and a sense of discovery well into your playtime.

I've heard good things on this one, haven't taken the plunge as of yet. Has anyone here extensively played it?

I have also. Sunless Skies is a wierd mix. Its kind of like Pirates! in that its a trading and exploration games where you play the captain of ship (well ok, its a flying train). You can buy new ships, recruit officers for your crew et. There are opportunities to work as a hunter, privateer, or trader though these have to be found at some point and are generally well implemented, and You also explore a bizzare steampunk world inspired by the Cthulu mythos. On the other hand their is a focus on the writing. Questlines and the story are intricate, but also somewhat abstract. I'd say if you like the Torment games, think of that level of bizzare. You have 4 main stats, and you make a lot of stat bases tests to influence quests, you also can pick up, buy, or earn quest items at certain places, which makes the game sort of an adventure games. I think this game is an improvement over the very good Sunless Sea. So if it sounds like something you might like, its worth a try.

Back
Top Bottom