Biomutant - Review @ BATG

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Blast Away The Game checked out Biomutant:

Biomutant Review - An Odd Duck (or Rodent)

Biomutant is an open-world action RPG developed by experiment 101. This fledgling studio is starting out with a lot of attention and big shoes to fill. The hype train started with Playstation shining a spotlight on a gameplay trailer that was put out and the rest is history. As you begin the game proper you are introduced to an impressive display of texture and design that literally throws the world they designed straight into your face. This sets you up with expectations that you will have your MIND BLOWN! And while this is true in many respects this sets up the player with unrealistic expectations from the get-go. Biomutant is an impressive game that does a lot of great things with exploration and player choice, but those triumphs are marred by a story that needs just a bit more work to keep up with the rest of the game's mechanics.

Technically, Biomutant is beautiful! The world is vibrant and uses color to display how the developers wanted you to know things were going to be weird. The use of color puts the creature's designs on full display from the get-go and these designs are certainly unique. There are few ways to make me raise an eyebrow (I was working on a biology degree so I have seen some odd designs in nature), but the mixture of rat/ dog/raccoon is something that you would think would be terrible, but actually made me go awwww.

[...]

The Conclusion

All in all Biomutant is the definition of a mixed bag. The gameplay is fun and the world is beautifully designed. The story is not amazing and leaves too much to the player. Open world playgrounds can be great times and are fun to explore and find all of the secrets in (and oh boy are there secrets in this game to find), but that doesnt mean the weak story will not hamper the experience a bit.

Score: 7/10
More information.

Score: 7/10
Yep, what I said years ago, when this Rodent Simulator first came up!

Back
Top Bottom