General News - 5 new RPGs @ C4G

Dark Envoy was made by the folks that did Tower of Time. I've got high hopes for that one!

Luminary looks good. I like the emphasis on exploration there.

Luminary's main char looks like Aloy from Horizon Zero Dawn :)

Last edited:
The main thing that struck me was the Zelda hang-glider. I do wonder how many of these lesser known games will ever realise their ambitions. On the Unreal Reddit people are always showing off their pet projects, and many of them look really cool. But taking them to them to the point of a full game is another matter.

I put Dark Envoy on my list. I never got around to Tower of Time, but I did read some good things about it.

The thing about "exploration" is to me it's only relevant when there's something to find. To take an extreme example, "exploring" 10 square miles of empty fields of grass is my idea of hell, not entertainment. I don't see any evidence of meaningful exploration in Luminary, not based on that video. Maybe there is, but I would have to know about it first to be interested in the game.

The groundwork for good exploration in a game starts with the level design. You can have the coolest loot in the world, but it doesn't mean much if the world isn't truly open. They have to start with a foundation first, and then loot is usually one of the last things to be implemented. I think the potential there is obvious.

Good exploration games do require worthwhile things to find, and I wouldn't just call it loot. Because loot alone is boring. Good exploration games usually tie multiple game systems to exploration, whether its side quests, crafting, puzzles, et. But level design certainly plays a role as well. A well built map lets you go anywhere, but doesn't make it obvious everywhere you can go from the start.

Yeah, I think that's pretty much stating the obvious. No developer worth their salt is going to make a game with emphasis on exploration and then not put anything worthwhile to find in it.

With a game like Luminary, it's going to depend on how good their procedural generation algorithm is. Apparently, the world is going to be hand-crafted while a lot of the content will be generated upon starting a new game.

Back
Top Bottom