HOMM 2 - FHeroes2 v0.98 Released

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The open source reimplementation of Heroes of Might and Magic II called FHeroes2 has reached v0.98. If you wish to try it out you will need the original game which you can get from GOG.

This open source multiplatform project, written from scratch, is designed to reproduce the original game with significant improvements in the gameplay, graphics and logic (including support for high-resolution graphics, improved AI, numerous fixes and UI improvements), breathing new life into one of the most addictive turn-based strategies.

screenshot_world_map.png
More information.

Sounds promising but the documentation on the Github site is rather short - does someone know what are the UI and AI improvements?

Would this also work with an original retail (CD) version of the game, or only GOG/Ubisoft ones?

Sounds promising but the documentation on the Github site is rather short - does someone know what are the UI and AI improvements?

Would this also work with an original retail (CD) version of the game, or only GOG/Ubisoft ones?

It should work with CD version. I'd make sure it is fully patched to latest version if I was you. AI bugs/mistakes from the original code from the sounds of it. Then possibly they will develop it further. UI improvement in this case means scalable for modern resolutions. Beyond that I'm not sure.

Currently fheroes2 project is under development, so not all plans are implemented yet.
But you can currently try to play it on higher resolutions. Use Shift/Ctrl/Alt to redistribute your army in a few clicks. Use right mouse click for the same task (if you don't like to use keyboard). More smooth hero walking animation on a world map. Check troops' special abilities inside info window (Like Crusader's double strike). Enhanced Town Portal GUI. Area-based spells have visual reflection on a battlefield and many, many others.
That goes without saying, that fheroes2 project fixes numerous bugs from the OG.
And yes, it works with any official version of the OG you have.

best heroes right there. so glad to see work on it. waiting for v1 on december i guess

Is this easily installed? Like, will it actually do the work for you, the installation I mean? I have a great old games copy so that's not an issue, but figuring out how to do the installation is usually where I bounce out, lol.

There's a complete and easy installation guide at github main page (linked in the thread's text). I'm sure, you can easily handle installing fheroes2 engine.
Nevertheless, you can always ask for help at official discord channel (linked at github main page) or simply talk to devs team there.

Back
Top Bottom