Gloomhaven - Released

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The dungeon crawler Gloomhaven has been released:

Gloomhaven

Whether you are drawn to Gloomhaven by the call of adventure or by an avid desire for gold glimmering in the dark, your fate will surely be the same. Gloomhaven, the digital adaptation of the acclaimed board game, mixes Tactical-RPG and dungeon-crawling.
More information.

I haven't started it up yet, but the patch to go from EA to full release is about a 241MB download, which took about 3 minutes to apply to 7.2GB on my standard HD.
Not as big as I thought would be required to add the campaign etc in, but I'll know for sure very soon!

EDIT: looks like it's all there. The complete 95 scenarios with branching story from the boardgame.

I'm playing this now, enjoying it. Though I have it on easy;)

Haven't started yet. Waiting to see if my game group will ditch our paused for c19 IRL game and take up the digital version.

Haven't started yet. Waiting to see if my game group will ditch our paused for c19 IRL game and take up the digital version.

I'm in kind of the same boat, only Summer killed our momentum and I don't think any of us are jonesing to get back. So much setup and teardown, rules consulting, etc. that can make it tough to get through one or two scenarios in a sitting.

It might also be the fact that I played this in EA and enjoyed it immensely, so chances are if when I do play it again, it may be online with some different friends.

I'd like to ry this at some point. The board game simply did not grab me... I sold it about a quarter of the way through. Far too fiddly, too much setup (even with a custom insert)... but maybe with those things alleviated in digital form, I'd enjoy it more.

I played through the board game campaign 3 times (150+ hours each) so I was looking forward to this, but I worried that it would be watered down or simplified. I haven't tried the campaign yet (it was released just yesterday) but after purchasing it in early access a couple of weeks ago I've spent so far over 100 hours on "Guildmaster" mode and it's great, exactly the board game.

The board game is somewhat fiddly and quite taxing due to having to manage all of the enemy actions as well as determine combat results based upon the rules, but the computer game takes care of all of that, allowing a focus to be on the strategy.

Ive been playing on guildmaster mode too, mostly just because I've already played through the campaign in board game mode. It seems good so far, though some of the out of combat bits in guildmaster seem streamlined. I don't think the campaign is streamlined at all though, so it's probably the best bet for someone wanting the full experience. I'm only not doing it because my understanding is that it's identical to the board game version.

I played through the board game campaign 3 times (150+ hours each) so I was looking forward to this, but I worried that it would be watered down or simplified. I haven't tried the campaign yet (it was released just yesterday) but after purchasing it in early access a couple of weeks ago I've spent so far over 100 hours on "Guildmaster" mode and it's great, exactly the board game.

The board game is somewhat fiddly and quite taxing due to having to manage all of the enemy actions as well as determine combat results based upon the rules, but the computer game takes care of all of that, allowing a focus to be on the strategy.

So I keep failing missions, but my guys are leveling up and getting stronger....should I be concerned in this? Will these missions keep getting easier if I level, they mentioned something about increasing the difficulty as our level rises

So I keep failing missions, but my guys are leveling up and getting stronger….should I be concerned in this? Will these missions keep getting easier if I level, they mentioned something about increasing the difficulty as our level rises

At least in the board game, monster level and trap damage does scale with your average party level, although I think you need an average party level of 3 before the first increase. You will also find more gold at higher levels.

The early missions and monsters types do tend to be easier though regardless of level, while later ones tend to be harder.

The difficulty level you play on can also increase monster level and gold drops. At higher levels monsters can gain new abilities like wound or retaliate.

I'm playing this now, enjoying it. Though I have it on easy;)
Yeah, I think I'm about to switch to easy.
I was fairly confident after learning the ropes in Guildmaster mode during EA, but the campaign is as hard as nails! I guess there's a sense of achievement if it takes you several goes for most of the missions, but given that each one takes a reasonable amount of time, I have a feeling it's going to get a little tiresome. Maybe I'll bump it up again when I start to feel more awesome!!1!

Yeah, I think I'm about to switch to easy.
I was fairly confident after learning the ropes in Guildmaster mode during EA, but the campaign is as hard as nails! I guess there's a sense of achievement if it takes you several goes for most of the missions, but given that each one takes a reasonable amount of time, I have a feeling it's going to get a little tiresome. Maybe I'll bump it up again when I start to feel more awesome!!1!

Interestingly enough you keep gold and items...as well as xp from failed levels.

We used to play on insane difficulty level In the board game. I tried starting out like that in the digital campaign but got crushed. I think you definitely need to start out at a lower difficulty and work your way up. I knocked it down to hard and I’m winning scenarios, but only barely. I usually have one survivor at the end.

I bought it, but I probably shouldn't have. My interest is waning already. I beat the first mission on my second try (on normal), so it's not because I'm frustrated. It's just kinda boring. The mechanics are good but I need more story stuff to pull me along.

I bought it, but I probably shouldn't have. My interest is waning already. I beat the first mission on my second try (on normal), so it's not because I'm frustrated. It's just kinda boring. The mechanics are good but I need more story stuff to pull me along.

Gloomhaven has a ton of lore and background, but when it comes to the actual story, most people don’t consider that a strong point.

Well I must be in the minority of players again as I agree with JFarrell71.

Back
Top Bottom