Encased - Dev Update #15, Voices

I wasn't aware this game had voice acting. While quality VA is certainly nice-to-have, IMO indie developers should not be spending their limited funds on it. Many of the negative Steam reviews say that the first half of the game is good but the second feels rushed and unfinished. I'd much rather play a polished unvoiced game than an uneven one with voices.

I've heard many good things about it, but it sounds like should've stayed in EA longer and I assume it was released out of financial necessity / publisher imposed deadlines. It seems they are planning to continue adding content and improvement in future patches so I'm inclined to wait.

It originally didn't have any voice-overs but the new publisher they found injected more cash for development. They added more voice-overs with a first week patch as well.

I was happy when the option to shut off the narrator was added.:)

I think the voices are very well done and good quality. I like the narrator but it takes time to listen to him, it's nice they added a switch for separate channels. There are accents from different nationalities that match the character in the game, which doesn't surprise me because this game likes to caricature society.

A few generic lines (see ya, nice chatting, bye, ...) feel sometimes out of context, like an NPC very unhappy about you, who then says a jovial "hope to see you soon!" when you end the conversation. But I've seen that in other games. I think I noticed that here because each NPC has its own text conversation, but shares the same voiced hello / bye with some others.

I'm also glad not all dialogues are spoken. I find that it's just the right balance, to emphasize the important parts and so that it doesn't take too much time going through all the conversations.

I do hope that they add a switch for the same repeated announcements we hear in all buildings. I had to solve a puzzle while listening to 20 of those stupid messages and sometimes it gets on my nerves - the old Larian broken record syndrome. The same goes with TV sets repeating the same line every 20 seconds or so (some can be turned off).

I wasn't aware this game had voice acting. While quality VA is certainly nice-to-have, IMO indie developers should not be spending their limited funds on it. Many of the negative Steam reviews say that the first half of the game is good but the second feels rushed and unfinished. I'd much rather play a polished unvoiced game than an uneven one with voices.

I've heard many good things about it, but it sounds like should've stayed in EA longer and I assume it was released out of financial necessity / publisher imposed deadlines. It seems they are planning to continue adding content and improvement in future patches so I'm inclined to wait.

Blackguards I-II has super-excellent voice acting, greatly contributing to the game's atmosphere. I agree that voice unfortunately became a fashion decision, many companies completely messing it up or are delivering lukewarm quality.
Baldur's Gate 1-2 had also excellent voice acting.

Back
Top Bottom