Hogwarts Legacy - All We Know @ Techradar

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Techradar has listed some info about the upcoming Harry Potter RPG: Hogwarts Legacy:

Hogwarts Legacy: everything we know about the Harry Potter RPG

Hogwarts Legacy is coming, but not until 2022

Always wondered what life would be like if the owl carrying your Hogwarts letter didn't get lost while on its way to you? Well, Hogwarts Legacy is looking like it could be your chance to find out.

In development at Avalanche Software, Hogwarts Legacy is an open-world adventure that will take players into the Harry Potter universe, allowing them to explore within and beyond the castle walls of the famous magical school. While many of the locations in Hogwarts Legacy will be familiar to fans of the series, familiar faces will be few and far between. That's because rather than delving into the timeline of the books and films, Hogwarts Legacy will take players back to the 1800s to tell its own story within the magical world.

Hogwarts Legacy was first officially revealed back in 2020 and while it was initially thought we would get to board the Hogwarts Express as soon as 2021, it's now been confirmed that the game has been pushed to sometime in 2022. When it does launch, it'll be playable on PS5, Xbox Series X, Xbox One, PS4 and PC.

[...]
More information.

Seems like it will have good amount of character creation options. Hmm I wonder if we get to pick background of our character too (from wizard or muggle family) :D

Depends on what's the target age of the player-base. If I remember it's all ages so that means some topics and themes will be off limit. I'll still keep my eye on the game though.

Edit: Correction seems I might be wrong and both right we'll see.:(
Update: Hogwarts Legacy has received a provisional PEGI 16 age rating. Here's how it's defined on the Pan-European Game Information website:

"This rating is applied once the depiction of violence (or sexual activity) reaches a stage that looks the same as would be expected in real life. The use of bad language in games with a PEGI 16 rating can be more extreme, while games of chance, and the use of tobacco, alcohol or illegal drugs can also be present."

Depends on what's the target age of the player-base. If I remember it's all ages so that means some topics and themes will be off limit. I'll still keep my eye on the game though.

Edit: Correction seems I might be wrong and both right we'll see.:(

There goes my hope for a GTA: Hogwarts edition!

Honestly I'm not all that keen on this game, yet if they do produce something with decent choices and consequences, well, that I might just have to check out.

Spellcrafting is a thing for true magic based games, but I guess it is usually left out because it is more difficult to create such system as fun and working aswell.
Morality could be interesting with dark magic spells. Still it is easier and harder at the same time to create fantasy game in realistic setting. If everything would be centered around the school - would that be interesting enough or maybe there could be some portals into different realms like Bethesda with Oblivion pockets. I was never thinking about how difficult it could be to create such game so it wouldn't look like the typical video game based on a movie. But lately I guite miss them.

Honestly I'm not all that keen on this game, yet if they do produce something with decent choices and consequences, well, that I might just have to check out.

Well, I enjoyed HP books so its natural that I'm interested in this. I'd love to play as a mudblood wizard, yelling out Expelliarmus! everywhere lol :D

Not sure if I could be less interested in this setting for an RPG. When are we going to get a modern RPG based on Tolkien?

Well, I enjoyed HP books so its natural that I'm interested in this. I'd love to play as a mudblood wizard, yelling out Expelliarmus! everywhere lol :D
Yes..yes.we all know how you like to seriously role-play your characters. I remember our little debates over the pathfinder games. Have you tried real life Larping.:biggrin:
Not sure if I could be less interested in this setting for an RPG. When are we going to get a modern RPG based on Tolkien?
Blame EA they were actually going to make an open world LOTR game called White Tower but cancelled development. It wasn't a pure RPG but RPG elements.

Also the restrictions of the IP limit what you can do.

Yes..yes.we all know how you like to seriously role-play your characters. I remember our little debates over the pathfinder games. Have you tried real life Larping.:biggrin:

No, I don't understand the attraction of LARPing.

I like to RP in the game because its caters for you to RP someone you are not. But doing that in real life sounds silly.

I remember seeing people "playing" quiddich at university lawns and thought they look extremely silly.

Oh I did enjoy the books, at least when I read them at the time. I've re-read them once, not sure if I'll ever do that again. I'm just not sure how it would all translate to a game, though if it has a nice tactical look and a few other bonuses, that might change things.

Blame EA they were actually going to make an open world LOTR game called White Tower but cancelled development. It wasn't a pure RPG but RPG elements.

Also the restrictions of the IP limit what you can do.
Ugh, that still hurts, those idiots, a reasonably well done game like that would sell insane amounts and continue to sell by adding on different lands etc.
As for this, like Wheel of Time its weird; I've no interest in the books or live action adaptations but think they'd make great game settings with the various classes and schools of magic and abilities.

Back
Top Bottom