Gwent - New Stand-Alone Game in 2022

Redglyph

proud GASP member
IGN reports that a new stand-alone Gwent game is planned for 2022.

Witcher's Gwent Getting a New Single-Player Standalone Game Later This Year - Exclusive

IGN can reveal that The Witcher's Gwent is becoming a new, single-player, standalone game, codenamed Project Golden Nekker and set to launch in 2022.

Project Golden Nekker is currently in development within CD Projekt Red's Gwent team and aims to provide a "captivating single-player experience" different to previous versions of the digital card game.

Project Golden Nekker will be a completely standalone game, and won't require players to own any other versions of Gwent to get the full experience.

Gwent was a fan-favourite minigame included in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, but evolved into a standalone multiplayer game in 2016. In turn, Gwent got its own spin-off two years later with the excellent The Witcher Tales: Thronebreaker.

Project Golden Nekker will be something else entirely according to Gwent Comms Lead Paweł Burza: "It's not another Witcher Tales [game] but something different," he said. "We're aiming to provide a captivating single-player for players who prefer it over competitive multiplayer Gwent."

Although this is the first time we've learned that it's an entirely new game, CD Projekt Red has been quietly teasing the project for several months, dropping hints on Gwent streams and community podcasts.

In a developer update streamed during Gwent World Masters #3 in December - the game's esports finals - Game Director Vladimir Tortsov said an official reveal for the game is coming soon.

He said: "We want to announce stuff that we're working on when the time is right," continuing, "I'm really excited about this project coming together and I hope you like it as much as I do."

[...]
More information.

Okay ... So now a Multiplayer Game gets its Singleplayer game ... and not vice versa !

I like that. :)

Thronebreaker is quite good and I recommend it to Witcher fans who may have been put off by its card-centric gameplay. But I've had my fill of Gwent, personally.

I mean, was the thronebreaker such a success or even is gwent in generall such a popular game that it is a good idea to put resourcess into another gwent related game?

Thronebreaker is quite good and I recommend it to Witcher fans who may have been put off by its card-centric gameplay. But I've had my fill of Gwent, personally.

Problem being, that the Gwent in in Thronebreaker is only marginally similar to the Gwent in Witcher 3.
In Witcher you build a deck and try to beat your opponents deck. In Thronebreaker you solve puzzles with fixed decks most of the time. And often there is only one way to solve the puzzle.
I loved the style and theme of Thronebreaker but got turned off by the puzzles after the second map iirc.
So a Gwent single-player game similar to the incredible Gwent battles and card hunts of Witcher 3 would be most welcome.

If you say so. I think playing the Witcher version of Gwent over and over in Thronebreaker would have made the game unbearably boring. I enjoyed Gwent in Witcher 3 and did all associated quests, but "incredible battles" strikes me as considerable hyperbole.

Must be something in the water. Much to everyone's surprise, ESO's next chapter is going to include a collectable card game.

I'm a fan of the Witcher series, but not of card games. But if this helps to cover the losses of CP77, so be it.

If you say so. I think playing the Witcher version of Gwent over and over in Thronebreaker would have made the game unbearably boring. I enjoyed Gwent in Witcher 3 and did all associated quests, but "incredible battles" strikes me as considerable hyperbole.

Your mileage may vary depending on how much you like card games. I like them a lot and Witcher 3 Gwent was one of the good ones. For me some matches were incredible.

Thronebreaker Gwent did (apart from the gimmicky puzzle battles) change the formula (i.e. how lanes work) quite a bit. Not for the better imo.

So for the new Gwent it is watch and see for me first.

I've long been a fan of Magic the Gathering and that likely influenced me, but I didn't enjoy Gwent for more than a few games.

Despite that, I purchased Thronebreaker since Gwent wasn't bad but I very much did not like that at all. With Thronebreaker I had been hoping for a sort of Shandalar (very fun old RPG-ish game using MtG as the battle system) but to each their own.

Thronebreaker was astonishingly good. I think a lot of people saw cards and thought Gwent when in reality Thronebreaker simply uses cards as a resolution method. There's maybe dozen or so outright MATCHES in the game, everything else is either unique scenarios or some form of puzzle where you have a fixed deck to work with.

Back
Top Bottom