Book of Travels - Development Update

Redglyph

proud GASP member
Might and Delight have posted a new update about Book of Travels, an intriguing atmospheric TMORPG in Early Access (Tiny Multiplayer Online RPG - a single-player experience featuring rare but meaningful encounters with other players).

An Update on the Near Future for Book of Travels

Dear Traveller,

Before we get to the matter at hand I'd personally like to thank you on behalf of the entire team at Might and Delight for playing Book of Travels, engaging with each other on our social platforms and providing us with the invaluable feedback we need to improve and grow the game.

Now, we've always said that we're going to be communicating our plans and priorities with you as they take shape and today I'm going to tell you about how they've changed recently.

Our original plan was, as you may know, to continually flesh out the game with content in the form of additional features, levels, character forms and more - all of it along with a flow of patches with fixes on a regular basis throughout the Early Access period that we call "Chapter Zero".

But the truth is - and this is the part where we need to be brutally honest with ourselves - Book of Travels is nowhere near the level of polish we expected it to be at this point in its life cycle, nor where we need it to be to make it a successful product in the long term. New content tends to birth new problems for us to deal with when they get added, and for a team as small as ours it quickly becomes unsustainable.

Simply put: we need to get Book of Travels to a place where we can start building it with brick and mortar rather than putting bandaids on it. And for that to happen we need to go to the foundation.

[...]
Here is a presentation video (and transcript) introducing the Early Access and explaining the concept:

More information.

It has an interesting concept and great art work.

Thanks @purpleblob1; for spotting that game! Have you tried the EA?

I have indeed tried EA but my experience was not positive at all.

First time I bought it, I refunded it in less than an hour because I spent 30minutes creating my character then when I pressed 'start' button, my character simply disappeared. So I went through the character creation process again for it to disappear again. So, I raged and refunded :p

Second time, I gave it another go, successfully created character and logged on but I felt the game is still too unpolished to be fun. There's definitely potential to this game but as it is shown in the update you just posted, there are still a lot that need to be done before this game can be enjoyable. I'm still keeping an close eye to it tho :)

I have indeed tried EA but my experience was not positive at all.

First time I bought it, I refunded it in less than an hour because I spent 30minutes creating my character then when I pressed 'start' button, my character simply disappeared. So I went through the character creation process again for it to disappear again. So, I raged and refunded :p

Second time, I gave it another go, successfully created character and logged on but I felt the game is still too unpolished to be fun. There's definitely potential to this game but as it is shown in the update you just posted, there are still a lot that need to be done before this game can be enjoyable. I'm still keeping an close eye to it tho :)

Sounds like a bumpy start! "A serene online RPG"? Hmm, not what I read above ;)

I found their Kickstarter page, I added the link at the bottom of the game description (I'm always trying to put a few useful links).

I don't suppose they've a reliable estimation of release date at this point? I see October 2020 delivery date on the KS when the campaign ended November 2019, which I find strangely close. There are many updates there though, good to know.

Hmm that'll be a pass for me sorry as nothing about this game intrigues me.:(

I don't suppose they've a reliable estimation of release date at this point? I see October 2020 delivery date on the KS when the campaign ended November 2019, which I find strangely close. There are many updates there though, good to know.

I could be wrong but I think that Oct2020 date was EA (what they call Chapter 0) release.

From what I read, there are many who enjoys the game even in its current rough state. The game really doesn't hold you hand much and you need to set your own goals. One questionable decision (imo) is that you can only communicate with other players via emotes - it could have been ok if the game is in stable condition but there are so many bugs and whatnot, it gets so frustrating especially you can't chat to other players atm.

Its such a shame - it has very rich chatacter creation and there were some real interesting NPCs to talk to at the big city I've been to and lots of places to explore. But right now, bugs and other technical issues are keeping me away. My fps was down to 30 when I was at city which is quite absurd considering its graphics and max of 7(?) players per session.

One questionable decision (imo) is that you can only communicate with other players via emotes - it could have been ok if the game is in stable condition but there are so many bugs and whatnot, it gets so frustrating especially you can't chat to other players atm.

The emote communication is definitely a very odd move.

Might and Delight, you simply have to love the name of the developer! Once this escapes early access, I might have to take a longer gander and see if it's something that I'd gravitate towards.

Its such a shame - it has very rich chatacter creation and there were some real interesting NPCs to talk to at the big city I've been to and lots of places to explore. But right now, bugs and other technical issues are keeping me away. My fps was down to 30 when I was at city which is quite absurd considering its graphics and max of 7(?) players per session.

I watched a little bit of gameplay footage, and it seems very slow-paced. I didn't see any combat though. I assume it has some?

I watched a little bit of gameplay footage, and it seems very slow-paced. I didn't see any combat though. I assume it has some?

It has combat yes altho I haven't experienced it myself. You get attacked by bandits or can challenge some people for duel etc.

Back
Top Bottom