Elden Ring - Released

I played for around 45 minutes. Definitely feels like Dark Souls. All I did was the tutorial area and talked to the guy at the aptly named "First Step" shrine of grace once I got outside. I'm going to reluctantly set it aside for a couple of weeks while I finish Horizon.

I'm having the infamous stuttering issues. Not only in gameplay, but even in character creation menu!

Every so often, the game freezes 1 to 4 seconds and then resumes, like an online video constantly buffering, on a shitty internet connection.

Between those freezes, the game runs buttery smooth with everything on maximum details (except motion blur, which is the first thing I turn off in every game).

This performance issue is not related to my hardware (i7 10770K, RTX 3080, 32GB Ram), but a game's bug or some other technical issue.

But before I was able to play it, I had another problem (very common, juding the dozens of topics on steam boards): the game would hang on a black screen, right before the Bandai logo appears. I could move the mouse, but the game wouldn't go for the intro and menu. Restarting the PC solved the issue.

That's when I played half an hour with that stuttering issue, until one of those freezes were final, the game froze and became unresponsive. I had to ctrl+alt+del terminate it. Then that launching issue appeared again, restarted the PC, tried to remove steam overlay (some people were saying that was causing issues) and played 5 more minutes, with that stuttering again. I called it quits and went to bed.

I hope today there will be more info about some work arounds for this issue, but I'm getting disapointed with this release. It looks like a careless port and From Software didn't use that delay time to polish it, it seems. I could overlook the no ultrawide support and even the delay of ray tracing feature for a future patch. But this stuttering issue on PC, no matter the graphic details or hardware, it's harder to excuse.

I played for around 45 minutes. Definitely feels like Dark Souls. All I did was the tutorial area and talked to the guy at the aptly named "First Step" shrine of grace once I got outside. I'm going to reluctantly set it aside for a couple of weeks while I finish Horizon.

I was wondering how long it takes to get to the outside. Didn't want to spend 2+ hours in the tutorial where the consensus appears to be that's it generally runs fine.

I played for about 5-6 hours and had no issues.

This may sound bad but I can't even remember my own specs (at work now so can't check). I have an i5 something, 16g ram, and a 2070 super I believe. Played at 2560x1440. Played all default settings which I think were "high", never even opened the advanced options.

I thought it looked great and ran smooth. I did get an occasional stutter but not bad. When I am running into a new area and new assets load it would rarely do one small stutter. Honestly now that my processer is getting old I only consider my specs middling so I never expect perfect performance on my rig. All things considered I was very happy with the performance.

It definitely feels like dark souls four. Some easy enemies and some tough. Tutorial is really easy I thought (I know it's a tutorial but it was almost too easy IMO). Beat one side boss on first try, got my ass kicked by another and had to leave him to come back later.

Biggest change is the open world. I'm still getting used to it to be honest. I don't dislike it by any means, but it does feel different. They do signpost the "main" path well enough, but it does add to the "did I miss something?" aspect. I know just before I quit for the night I had jumped off a ledge to pick up something I saw down there and had to run a long way to get back to another open area and I have no idea where I am in relation to where I know the first boss that kicked my ass was. You can fast travel between rest spots so it's not an issue getting back, just different for dark souls.

Back
Top Bottom