Elden Ring - Bandai Namco On Performance Issues

Redglyph

proud GASP member
Gamerant reported a post from Bandai Namco addressing the performance issues. They advise to PC owners to update their graphics drivers.

Bandai Namco Addresses Elden Ring's Performance Issues

Bandai Namco shares a new post that gives an update on the various performance issues affecting Elden Ring's release on all platforms.

Elden Ring officially launched today to rave reviews. It is currently one of the highest-rated games of all time, and it'll be extremely difficult for most other games to reach such a lofty score. Despite Elden Ring's several perfect scores, it looks like users are facing technical issues on all platforms.

A recent report suggested that the Elden Ring does not run at 60 FPS on PS5 and Xbox Series X in its frame rate mode. The performance is highly unstable, with the quality mode also missing a 30 FPS cap. While there are ways to bypass these issues, it looks like Elden Ring needs further optimization. The game's PC version is also not without faults, as many users reported severe stuttering, and it currently has a mixed rating on Steam. Now, Bandai Namco has shared an update on these performance issues.

The post begins by stating that the development team is aware of the performance issues plaguing the release of Elden Ring. It then lists out some problems, with a vague timeline of when fans can expect a fix. In addition to the frame rate issues, it seems like Elden Ring suffers from the mouse being too sensitive on PC and problems related to saving data on PS5. The anti-cheat software for the Steam version also supposedly does not launch under certain conditions. The post ends by confirming that FromSoftware is working on fixing other bugs and improving performance.

The full list of issues detailed in the Elden Ring post is as follows:

[...]
More information.

More details:

• Regarding the problem of the mouse being too sensitive in the PC version
    • We will be sending out a patch for this issue in the near future.
  • Regarding the problem of Easy Anti-Cheat failing to launch when the Steam account name is set to 2-byte characters.
    • We are aware of the cause of this issue and will be providing a patch in the near future.
  • Regarding the phenomenon of frame rate and other performance-related issues during gameplayWe will be constantly working to improve the game so that it can be played comfortably on various PC environments and platforms.
    • For the PC version, updating your graphics card drivers to the latest version may significantly improve performance.
  • About the phenomenon of game data that does not save correctly in the PlayStation 5 version
    • If the PS5 console is unexpectedly turned off while playing a game or in rest mode, saved data may not be saved correctly.
    • We are aware of the cause of this issue and are working on a patch to correct it, but until the patch is released, please save your game manually by exiting the game regularly.
    • Game data will be saved correctly if you quit the game by opening the system menu using the OPTION button and selecting "Quit Game."

I did run into mouse being super sensitive, but mine has on the fly dpi adjustment so that fixed it for me

My power restarted four times a couple of days ago. Obviously I would like that not to happen again for a variety of reasons, but if I lost an Elden Ring save on top of that, that…would not be good.

I think every game should maintain multiple saves, whether you manually save or not. Rotate them.

Hah, a game having a 95 or 97 (depending on platform) on Metacritic, but a 62% on Steam seems...new?

Nah that's just review bombing with negative reviews. I'm surprised steam hasn't curtailed the reviews with some type of excuse. As rotten tomatoes does it all the time.

I seriously wonder what people do in building and setting up their PCs. Admittedly I have a high end system 5600x and 3080 32 GBs, but I have zero performance issues. It runs at a pegged 60 fps and in maybe 5 or 6 hours of play it has stuttered exactly once. I see it all the time and I just wonder what these configurations are.

Well not everybody has high end PCs that's the problem. Most gamer's according to steam have mid level PC's. My guess is most of those are pre-built gaming systems.

So yeah I smell a little snobbery in that post above.;)

My rig is ten years old this year and handles everything still fine, though I do immediately turn off audio and tone down graphics the moment I fire up a new game. Waiting for patches/updates is probably a good thing for my system as well, by the time I actually pick up a new game they've likely undergone another six months to a years testing and modifications. I'm hoping I'll be able to run this one when the time is right, and that's assuming it'll work with windows seven, of course!

Hah, a game having a 95 or 97 (depending on platform) on Metacritic, but a 62% on Steam seems…new?

To compare critical reviews to user reviews directly, critical reviews would have to say things like "I hate how they drew trees... 4 out of 10!"

You also have a preponderance of complaints in user reviews because those are the people more likely to post. Lots of people are just happily playing the game.

I'm playing on PS5, so I guess the frame rate stuff mostly misses me. It's running just fine for me and I'm playing on graphics mode or whatever it's called (not performance mode). Trust me, I would be grinding my teeth if the frame rate was erratic because boss fights would be unbearably irritating.

Well, it looks like the FromSoftware developer acknowledged there are technical issues they are working on, so its pretty certain many players are having problems/issues. (shrug)

Last edited:
Checked out the high seas version and it's a terrible PC port. Exactly as lazy and below half-assed as the other Souls games.

Worst part is probably the mouse/kb setup.

That said, it didn't stutter that much during my brief time with it - and, unsurprisingly, the omission of FPS uncap is down to 100% incompetency or neglect. Why? Because you can simply switch to borderless mode and it runs perfectly uncapped.

But the game itself looks good. I'll get it eventually.

I seriously wonder what people do in building and setting up their PCs. Admittedly I have a high end system 5600x and 3080 32 GBs, but I have zero performance issues. It runs at a pegged 60 fps and in maybe 5 or 6 hours of play it has stuttered exactly once. I see it all the time and I just wonder what these configurations are.

If you own a very high-end PC, you have less chance of getting performance issues, but you have to realize not everyone can afford it, especially now. Or not everyone decides to put so much money in gaming, which is sensible. But I suppose it was irony or showing off.

I think it's actually more complicated with GPU performances. I had big issues with an RTX 3070 running a couple of games that were not using many features and which were running fine on old, lower cards. The graphics engines have to support so many types these days that they're not handling each card or each generation of cards optimally. Unity is well known for that, but for Elden Ring it's a proprietary engine IIRC, so who knows what's in it, if it comes from an initial port from a console.

It's not the first game which doesn't work on all cards, almost any game has this problem on release.

Well not everybody has high end PCs that's the problem. Most gamer's according to steam have mid level PC's. My guess is most of those are pre-built gaming systems.

So yeah I smell a little snobbery in that post above.;)

If you own a very high-end PC, you have less chance of getting performance issues, but you have to realize not everyone can afford it, especially now. Or not everyone decides to put so much money in gaming, which is sensible. But I suppose it was irony or showing off.

I think it's actually more complicated with GPU performances. I had big issues with an RTX 3070 running a couple of games that were not using many features and which were running fine on old, lower cards. The graphics engines have to support so many types these days that they're not handling each card or each generation of cards optimally. Unity is well known for that, but for Elden Ring it's a proprietary engine IIRC, so who knows what's in it, if it comes from an initial port from a console.

It's not the first game which doesn't work on all cards, almost any game has this problem on release.

That was not my intent at all and I was unclear. What I meant to say is that others that have high end systems are reporting the game as unplayable and constantly stuttering and then made me think what are these people who have high end systems actually doing? I mean if it runs flawlessly on mine, are they using like ancient rotational drives or just 8GB of memory or just running so much crap at startup that it bogs the system down?

That was not my intent at all and I was unclear. What I meant to say is that others that have high end systems are reporting the game as unplayable and constantly stuttering and then made me think what are these people who have high end systems actually doing? I mean if it runs flawlessly on mine, are they using like ancient rotational drives or just 8GB of memory or just running so much crap at startup that it bogs the system down?

Maybe we went down a bit hard on your comment ;)

We should see what cards have the problem since from what I read they are using an evolution of their proprietary engine, it may not be optimal with all GPUs. But it could be a slower SSD or another bandwidth limitation.

Isn't it common to see similar performance issues on new AAA games? I remember seeing the same with each AC game a few years back, then NVIDIA (or ATI/AMD) would come up with drivers that have been slightly optimized for the game, Ubisoft would optimize the game on their side, and all would end up well... for most people.

It's more like a brief freeze than a stutter. At least that's what I experienced when I checked the game out last night. For me, it's very occasional. Like maybe once every 10-15 minutes, but when it happens, it completely freezes the screen for a full second or two.

And yeah… it's a terrible PC port.

It's more like a brief freeze than a stutter. At least that's what I experienced when I checked the game out last night. For me, it's very occasional. Like maybe once every 10-15 minutes, but when it happens, it completely freezes the screen for a full second or two.

And yeah… it's a terrible PC port.

I'm not experiencing any of this on the PS5, but according to the digital foundry article there's a freeze like you describe when the game loads new stuff (like as you're traveling through the landscape) and there are stutters when anything happens for the first time because it compiles those effects on the fly. The shaders are precompiled on console, and that's why it doesn't happen on console. As you play and do/see stuff, the stuttering decreases, but if you update the game or otherwise reset things, it happens all over again. Fast enough processors can compensate for the stuttering.

I'm glad you're not experiencing the stuttering.

Back
Top Bottom