Non-RPG General News - Return to Monkey Island Announced

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Ron Gilbert has been secretly working on Return to Monkey Island which is expected to release 2022.

Announcing Return to Monkey Island, the long-awaited follow-up to the legendary Secret of Monkey Island and Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge by Ron Gilbert's Terrible Toybox in collaboration with Devolver Digital and Lucasfilm Games, coming 2022.
More information.

Hell yeah! Mandatory buy for me. Best news I have had all week!

Thimbleweed Park was an excellent game with heavy inspiration from Maniac Mansion. If this is anything close to Thimbleweed park we are in for a treat.

Based on some quick investigation by myself it looks like this has been in development for longer than Thimbleweed park despite already having a solid base to work from.

Based on the very positive feedback he is getting on youtube etc I would say it is also going to do much better financially than Thimbleweed which was reasonably successful for an indie.

This will be one of highlights of 2022, I feel it. Pretty hyped here.

Now this reminds me of the 90s and going to computer gaming shops. Never played these games but they were everywhere. Anything that gets the masses into computer gaming is good with me.

Monkey Island is one of the best overall memories I have of gaming. The games were awsome.

However nowadays I have no desire to play goofy point&click adventures.

Monkey Island and Fate of Atlantis, great child gaming memories. Spent afternoons with my friends figuring out puzzles.

That reminds me, was meaning to play the remakes for a while now…

I was pretty young, but I have memories of my older cousin playing this on a very, very old computer and being kinda funny, there were some banter-duels that were very scripted, but amusing at the time, or that was the gist of it anyway if memory serves right.

Doubtful that this is more than yet another nostalgia cash-grab, but I'm going to remain sceptical and hope to be favourably surprised.

I fondly remember these games when they first came out, I'm guessing that was maybe around 1990? I'm not certain I'd enjoy them in the same ways these days, as I don't recall truly enjoying replaying any of them, yet for that first play-through they were amazing for the time.

Instabuy.

The Tales Of Monkey Island aren't bad, imho, by the way.

I loved point&click adventures in 90s, before FMVs and 3D. Still replaying old Sierra, Legend and Lucas film/Arts games till today. Not so long ago I replayed Indy 4 (they should have made that game a script for fourth movie). Btw. Monkey 1+2 were remastered and I think remasters were pretty well done. Would recommend them to anyone interested in replay (its possible to switch from old to new graphics in real-time during gameplay).

After reading some comments here, I'm going to at least revisit the first game and see if nostalgia can provide some momentum.

If you haven't played Thimbleweed Park I highly recommend it. If you have already played Monkey Island/Maniac Mansion it might be worth trying something new.

If you haven't played Thimbleweed Park I highly recommend it. If you have already played Monkey Island/Maniac Mansion it might be worth trying something new.

Yes, Thimbleweed Park is very good !

Surprised that nobody mentions the new graphical style. What do you think about that?

Surprised that nobody mentions the new graphical style. What do you think about that?

Im fan of pixel graphics, especially in adventure games and I kinda like this direction. FMVs and 3D broke my adventure gamers heart in late 90s, but during last years some very nice adventure games came from indie production. So while adventure genre is mostly dead for mainstream, I dont complain.

Back
Top Bottom