Pillars of Eternity - Retrospective Review

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Ye Old Entertainment looks back at Pillars of Eternity and compares it with Baldur's Gate II:

Pillars of Eternity Review: Spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate 2 that brought back isometric rpgs

More information.

Unlike Mortismal or WolfHeart, Ye Old Entertainment is a malicious reviewer. Under his negative Black Geyser review, he removed all youtube comments that disagreed with any of the review's points and/or mentioned they enjoyed Black Geyser despite of its falw (I know because I was one of the commenters and I noticed others' comments to disappear as well at the same time).

I've never cared much about video comments so I wouldn't know.

He's very subjective, he even admitted it at the beginning of this review, and sometimes he seems to pick random features to try and criticize a game. It's very odd, so I'm not surprised if he gets some criticism in return. But it's usually fun to watch.

What annoys me are the more and more overdone and repetitive clips, and all the twist and turns just because he thinks long allegories is the way to do it, which makes for long and not-so-entertaining videos. Once again he started with a parallel I couldn't care less about on another game, Diablo, but thankfully not for too long this time.

I'm still amazed at how very different both Pillars games are, and yet both are rather excellent. These are two games that I know I'll be replaying forever.

I'm still amazed at how very different both Pillars games are, and yet both are rather excellent. These are two games that I know I'll be replaying forever.

Second one was flawed by the designs not just bad.. But the funny thing was the combat was good but exploration and narative were mishandled.

First one was cool though.

Personally I preferred the second one, it felt more mature and lively than the first, but there was too much lore in dialogues and narrative. Neither of them could capture my attention until the end (yet) though, I could never get used to the combat system for some reason. So it seems there are divided opinions on the game.

I enjoyed playing both games but I found the first game more to my tastes. Sure Obsidian improved many of the systems, but I hated the pirate & story of part 2.

Anyway sure Obsidian revived the isometric genre just like all the other funded kickstarter games. Though Pillars of Eternity 2 was the better game it sold poorly.

Which lead to Obsidian moving the setting away from an isometric RPG to another open world action RPG. So it wasn't all rainbows and sunshine in the end.:(

I already wrote that somewhere, but I got so much shocked by that gruesome beginning that I left it in the early stages and never looked back. And I could never get myself up into playing it again.

And, to be brutally honest, the same thing happened to me ages ago with PS:T ... although my last try actually let me get to know the town a bit more. Which made me love the dialogs.

The first one was for me quite disappointing past the half mark. The second one was nice but those quest hubs are tiresome.

The design of those games.. You land on a new town/island and you have to run all over the place to collect full life stories, secrets, quests from people you have never met .. New place? Rinse and repeat..
World of Warcraft goes pirating.

No wonder than people get tired with Obsidian design laziness.

Yes, the first half of the first game was by far the most enjoyable part for me. I also enjoyed the IWD-style White Marches expansion. Give me the character class design of the second with the BG-style fantasy of the first and they'll have my money.

I like them both yet if I had to pick the one I thought was closest to perfection, it would be the latter game. It hit so many perfect notes for me.

I am playing Deadfire for the first time now, maybe halfway through. I think the combat is net better and having one less party member helps. The ship and having to sail around seems like throw away content, but otherwise there seems to be a comparable amount of exploration. I actually thought there was less lore dumps then PoE.

If you want to talk about better, I think Tyranny was the overall better of the three.

Have yet to finish the second; I just got so bored after a while with all the mundane islands (despite the game mechanics being improved).

Back
Top Bottom