The Outer Worlds - Review

I had fun with it and don't regret playing or buying but wish it had been more than it was and didn't feel it was that memorable.

There is something unusual I have been experiencing with several of Obsidian's games. I enjoy them for a while, sometimes a pretty high amount such as with Outer Worlds, but then I get tired of them 2/3 or so of the way through. For Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2 and Outer Worlds I experienced this whereas for Tyranny I enjoyed it through to the end. I rarely (but not never) experience this with the many other games I play, even longer games.

There is something unusual I have been experiencing with several of Obsidian's games. I enjoy them for a while, sometimes a pretty high amount such as with Outer Worlds, but then I get tired of them 2/3 or so of the way through. For Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2 and Outer Worlds I experienced this whereas for Tyranny I enjoyed it through to the end. I rarely (but not never) experience this with the many other games I play, even longer games.
Similar experience for me. Really enjoyed Tyranny all the way through and liked the Pillar games,but had to push myself to finish the last hours.

Still haven't played Outer Worlds, but I hope I will enjoy it all the way through.

Most of the time for me when that happens is the story - characters. THey are just not intresting enough or its a funy strage thing with no head or tail... Nowdays it happens all the time with lots of games and movies as well.

NOw writers are just mediocre not to mention we seen most off the stuff already. So they always try to find some new angle and that just complicates things along the way leaving the basic things that needed in bad shape... i say simple things are best in life. But poeple will aways try to reinvent the wheel.

After buying it on sale, I gave it an honest try and played it for a while, but eventually I just lost interest. The last Obsidian game I played all the way through was PoE 1. TOW is not a bad game, I just didn't feel that engaged with the characters or the setting.

Most of the time for me when that happens is the story - characters. THey are just not intresting enough or its a funy strage thing with no head or tail... Nowdays it happens all the time with lots of games and movies as well.

NOw writers are just mediocre not to mention we seen most off the stuff already. So they always try to find some new angle and that just complicates things along the way leaving the basic things that needed in bad shape... i say simple things are best in life. But poeple will aways try to reinvent the wheel.
Is this all an elaborate way of saying you have a problem with the asexual character existing?

With regards to having seen things before, I'd say that has less to do with the writers, and more to do with growing older. I've been exposed to so much more of storytelling compared to when I was 15-20 and rarely feel surprised.

He mentions at the beginning that he's never played Fallout: New Vegas but that if it's similar to TOW then he might have to check it out.

If he had played FO: NV first, something tells me he wouldn't be as high on TOW as he is.

Is this all an elaborate way of saying you have a problem with the asexual character existing?
you ok there? i dont care about anyones sexual anything. IF they are not me or my wife... jeez the internet lol

With regards to having seen things before, I'd say that has less to do with the writers, and more to do with growing older. I've been exposed to so much more of storytelling compared to when I was 15-20 and rarely feel surprised.
i know what you mean and i agree.. But my point was that i don't need to be surprised at all. All i need is that the basics are good that's all. Good details are often missing the small things and characters take a back sit and plot convenience one after the other are in the driving sit sadly.

Last edited:
TOW was certainly under par for me, but I'm not a fan of first person POV, so that's no surprise. Given that there's a sequel coming, I am assuming that it was generally well received though?

I still remember the media hyping the game as the next big game from Obsidian, and comparing it to another Fallout NV. Only to be let down when actually playing it.

It's more of a Fallout NV lite RPG and the DLC is where the game shines.

Then what does the bizarre phrase "funny strange thing with no head or tail" mean? Help me out.
ok, i'll bite the last time... it means that something is so cringe, bad, strange that it becomes funny just to look at and the added comical absurdity is that popular opinion on it is that it's a quality product. Where in reality it's anything but. Ow and i wasn't talking about this game btw if you miseed that as well...

Last edited:
I enjoyed the game - and actually enjoyed the relatively smaller scope of the story and playtime. I wish more RPGs were a bit smaller that way.

I enjoyed the game - and actually enjoyed the relatively smaller scope of the story and playtime. I wish more RPGs were a bit smaller that way.
I did like the fact that it wasn't super long, and I agree we need more RPGs like that. I'm not always in the mood to start another 100 hour game.

I just wish the game itself had been better especially the loot system which was a mess.

If I had one word to describe that game, it would be "shallow".

Combat is poor. Exploration get quickly uninteresting. Story is bleh. I really enjoyed Cyberpunk, fallout IV and Elex but TOW pretty much lost my interest early in the game, on its third map.

I thought TOW was a bit too long for the content it had (Quests, Systems etc). I did play both DLC as well and I was worn out by the end of it. Murder on Eridanos was a highlight but Peril on Gorgon was very heavy on combat and it was very repetitive. It lasted 63 hours for me with close to 100% completion. I don't regret playing it but I would score it a 6.5/10 overall but there was some cool and enjoyable moments along the way.

Back
Top Bottom