Cyberpunk 2077 - Phantom Liberty announced

Great news! But it looks like I won't be playing Cyberpunk till 2024 when it is all patched!

They also released patch 1.6 which is another 13+ GB download on GOG. o_o

I'm really hoping they keep working on this to make it as good as can be (within reasonable limits). Both for selfish reasons and for them to "redeem" themselves.

I'm happy the expansion seems to take place before the ending of CP2077 - meaning it's probably integrated into the main game.

Personally, I have very little interest in expansions that are separate and require a new character and so forth. I tend to focus on a single playthrough with a single character.

Another great aspect is the current-gen only announcement. That means they have the option to go much further in terms of potential features and expanded mechanics.

Of course, that's less great for last-gen console owners - and CDPR are most likely slapping themselves silly they ever promised the game for that hardware. But that's the price of announcing a game 7+ years before it's released.

I hope it's a meaty expansion in terms of story - because the main story is way too short for such an expansive and rich world.

I think this is enough for me to do a 3rd replay as well. Good stuff.

I'm really hoping they keep working on this to make it as good as can be (within reasonable limits). Both for selfish reasons and for them to "redeem" themselves.
Almost two years from the release and they have only been publishing patches on patches. Obviously they have been working on it ;) It should be ready soon, eh?

I remember them talking about two expansions. Does someone know whether that is still the case?

I hope they have another team working on the new (Witcher?) game. I'll no doubt enjoy these CP expansions but the game was not what I was expecting. Ready for a new one :LOL:

Almost two years from the release and they have only been publishing patches on patches. Obviously they have been working on it ;) It should be ready soon, eh?

I remember them talking about two expansions. Does someone know whether that is still the case?

I hope they have another team working on the new (Witcher?) game. I'll no doubt enjoy these CP expansions but the game was not what I was expecting. Ready for a new one :LOL:
They've confirmed that only one expansion is planned.

As for future development, they've done some work in how they approach this - and the concept seems to be that they will have multiple projects simultaneously - but with emphasis and most of the resources dedicated to one of them at a time.

I believe they still have some kind of plan to introduce some kind of multiplayer in future games as well.

They're moving to Unreal Engine 5 - and it's safe to assume that the work they do on Witcher 4 will translate into an advantage for Cyberpunk 2.

I can't see Witcher 4 happening in less than 3 years - and I would assume CP2 would be at least 2 years after that.

That's the most optimistic scenario I can come up with.

I can't see Witcher 4 happening in less than 3 years - and I would assume CP2 would be at least 2 years after that.
Since the CP2077 expansion will likely be delayed to 2024 anyway, it will be only a year until Witcher 4!

More seriously, though, yes we all know how these things get delayed over and over again. No point setting hopes for new AAA releases from CDPR any time soon. I think this is a larger overarching problem in the (AAA) game industry. Games are becoming incredibly challenging to make. The tools are not developing at the same pace than the demand for complex games. Even though there are attempts, no-one yet has managed to develop a set of tools clearly shortening the development time of these games.

If the quality of this only CP2077 expansion will be anything similar to the Witcher 3 expansions, we'll have plenty to look forward from CDPR (hopefully) next year.

Hm, I really would have liked to be able to play it after the main storyline. Unfortunately it seems that they don't leave the coice to the player like they did with the two expansions for TW3.

True the planned timeline was ruined the minute they released a broken product. It's been nothing but patches for two years, and the free DLC was even held back.

Two years later they finally released the free DLC. Since then then CDPR announced Witcher 4 and a new game engine. Let that sink in they admitted the Red Engine is defunct.

As for expansions the plan was for two initially. Instead they had to waste resources fixing the game, and decided now they would only make one expansion and move on.

As much as I enjoyed playing the game it was a huge clusterfuck.

Hm, I really would have liked to be able to play it after the main storyline. Unfortunately it seems that they don't leave the coice to the player like they did with the two expansions for TW3.
Not possible the way the game ends depending on your choices.

1. Die and Johnny takes over.
2. You became the most famous merc and do one last legendary gig and go out in glory.
3. Stuck in an A.I machine betrayed by Arasaka.
4. You live Johnny dies. You become a nomad with a few months to live.

Last edited:
I'm mixed on that issue as I replay RPGs many times. Still they couldn't make an expansion like Blood and Wine because out of the endings only one would make sense.

Still after thinking about it you can still play the game after you finish. So it's possible CDPR will allow you to reload your last save and play the expansion. Might is the keyword.

I would definitely expect the expansion to be playable at the final stage of the game.

IIRC, the game automatically creates a save before that quest is started (Nocturne something) - so it's probably a simple matter of loading that game and then playing the expansion content.

From memory, they've made it clear that they'll keep making games in the Cyberpunk universe - but I don't think they've specifically said there's going to be a Cyberpunk 2.

That said, unless they go under or something - I would say there's a very high chance of that happening.

Terrible launch aside, the game sold extremely well and has been generally well received on PC.

Back
Top Bottom