Steelrising - Review @ACG

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
ACG checked out the action RPG Steelrising:

Steel Rising Review "Buy, Wait for sale, Never Touch?"

Steel Rising is a dark souls style title visiting a world where King Louis is even worse but this time he sends out Automats to take out the French Revolution and one automat that can speak goes against him with the help of some surprising people. Steel rising is out soon from Spiders.
More information.

I didn't realize this was so close to release. That said, I don't have much interest, and, unless it gets rave reviews from people here, it might be the first Spiders game I don't purchase.

The added assist mode might make rethink playing the game. As you can turn the game into a story focused one by making the combat as easy as you want it to be.

I'm surprised they didn't talk about Greedfall 2 at Gamescom or Pax West.

Last edited:
The last post on Steam talked about why the developer added the options. They know their fan-base are not Souls-like fans, and I applaud them for offering the optional options.

While it's true that more options are rarely a bad thing, I still see little that appeals to me here.

I hope it does well though because I still like Spiders even if it's been awhile since they made a game I really enjoyed.

Found some more reviews from my thread. ^^

Steelrising Review – Soulslike Automaton Uprising Done Well

In this Steelrising Review, we will break down the highly-anticipated Soulslike Action RPG. This dystopian game about the domination of the Automats in the 1700s is not backing down. It features familiar and new gameplay mechanics that old and new Soulslike players will come to appreciate. But the real question remains – is this worth picking up on day 1?
IGN's Steelrising Video Review

Steelrising is a competent action RPG with an unforgettable setting, but it’s dragged down by its humdrum soulslike formula that doesn’t do anything to make its combat or exploration stand out. Despite having some memorable weapons and enemies, combat often feels imprecise or sloppy, and boss fights are largely forgettable. That said, even if the story is fairly straightforward, the recognizable faces from history you meet and the beautiful French vistas you find them can still help make fighting robots in an alternate history somewhat entertaining.
Steelrising Review - RPGSite
For all its other faults, Steelrising looks pretty nice, at least with high settings on the PC version. While I did run into a handful of visual glitches that'll hopefully be ironed out, the lightning details and textures are generally well done and well-suited for the art-style Steelrising exhibits. The facial animations are also considerably improved over Spiders' previous outings.

In concluding my time with Steelrising, I beat the final boss of Steelrising without realizing - at the time - that it was the final boss of the game. It felt like any of the other bosses I had faced, and the narrative afterward seemed to quickly push itself to a conclusion. I'm not sure if I somehow missed a 'real' final boss or something due some choices in-game - I don't think so - but the ending I got felt sudden and hurried.

I come away from Steelrising feeling satisfied but not enamored. It's an adequate foray into the Souls-like space, and it incorporates its own traversal gimmicks well enough, but lackluster quests, boss encounters, and level design hold it back from being an exceptional entry in the genre.

Aye they are but some members don't read my thread only the front-page news.

So yes I double post and I'm not sorry. ^^

The added assist mode might make rethink playing the game. As you can you can turn the game into a story focused one by making the combat as easy as you want it to be.
That could make me change my mind as well, if there's enough story and exploration to be done. The graphics look very appealing, there's even a glimpse of Notre-Dame (though if I remember well, its bells were dismantled and melted during the French revolution, which is kind of sad).

The last post on Steam talked about why the developer added the options. They know their fan-base are not Souls-like fans, and I applaud them for offering the optional options.
I'm positively surprised by that move as well.

On second thought, after checking a few reviews including this one, I'll pass.

It seems rather average regarding exploration, location design, quests and story, it has performance issues and I have the impression that setting it to "story mode" will remove the only strong point.

Back
Top Bottom