HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Destructoid checked out The DioField Chronicle:

Review: The DioField Chronicle

You thought it was turn based, but it was me, DioField

The DioField Chronicle is an odd one among the cavalcade of tactics we've seen this year. It's real-time, rather than turn-based; it's about tight, compact skirmishes rather than drawn-out battles. DioField mixes wyvern and rifles, swords and sorcery, and even some airships for good measure.

Throughout the 20-ish hours it took me to finish The DioField Chronicle, there are some pretty cool concepts and ideas on display, though they're not always framed the best. There's a solid story, but some odd choices in direction. DioField is an interesting strategy game to play, even when it's not at its best.

[...]

Jade in the rough

The DioField Chronicle feels destined to be called a hidden gem years from now. Despite some faltering and misgivings, I can't help but enjoy the loop. Sending your units into combat, raining magical power down on enemies as your cavalry charges in and assassin tears up the backline, just feels good in DioField.

It hasn't hit the heights of other strategy RPG contenders, but The DioField Chronicle shows a lot of promise. It's different, it's engaging, and it's got a fast pace that moves from battle to battle. I felt like I got a good, interesting strategy RPG experience out of this first game, and I really do hope there's more in store. DioField certainly has the space for it.

Score: 7/10
More information.

Back
Top Bottom