Silent Storm - Retrospective Review

Silent Storm was a very good game at the time it was released. Though I never played Silent Storms Sentinels nor Hammer & Sickle, I finished the first one and I liked it very much!!!

A pity the graphics engine didn't age well, specially with higher resolutions and ultrawidescreens. It was really advanced for the time and specially the genre. I would pay for a remake of this game.

Incredible game(s)... until the Panzerschrecks appear. Luckily, there are mods to replace them with other enemies.
I played this a lot back in the day and I'd usually get up to the PKs or so and quit.

A pity the graphics engine didn't age well, specially with higher resolutions and ultrawidescreens

Many games release with no ultrawidescreen support now - which isn't surprising since it's an entirely optional personal taste thing that's fringe and a PITA for developers. Kind of like how most games don't come out for Mac OS or Linux. I can't ding any game for these things. For me it's more about UI than resolution with older games. The lack of QOL and modern polish is usually too much for me to take vs a never ending backlog of newer games.

It was really advanced for the time and specially the genre. I would pay for a remake of this game.
Agreed.

It's also odd to me that good/great ideas from gaming past don't get dug up more. Any good game/genre/subgenre is copy/pasted into oblivion these days.

The game was a lot of fun when released; but it was also a bit short and hollow. I remember attacking enemies by shooting down their watch towers - which was a blast; but i'm not sure i would enjoy the game today. It just seemed to lack content and didn't scale well. There was some similar ideas in phantom doctrine with regards to environment but it also suffered from incompleteness and i suppose lack of sales doomed refinements.

I'm not sure i'd want a 'remake' of silent storm; as much as a modern game that builds on the ideas in a more refined fashion.

Last edited:
Silent Storm started off well but just got weaker with every mission. Enjoyable setting. Solid combat system. Not a game I would want to play again though. The poor man's JA2.

I loved these games....I remember they spun off to a dark horror fantasy version as well...

Back
Top Bottom